1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random Transfer Speeds on 10-Gigabit Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chris6273, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris6273

chris6273 Thread Starter

Hi guys, i've got a bit of a problem at the moment with transfer speeds across my CAT6A 10-Gigabit network.

The problem is: Sometimes i can transfer files from the Server to my computer at 70MB/s and sometimes (alot of the time) down below 10MB/s. It really is very random. I have tryed disabling and enabling tools/options on both the server and my computer but to no avail. I am the only one connected to the Server when i'm transferring files like this so that rules out excessive use of bandwidth. I am just totally confused. BOTH network adaptors are at 1gbps and it's still being really slow. I've tryed it on another computer on the network and it mostly gets 30MB/s. It uses the same cabling and is set at 1gbps. The network switch is a Netgear 8 Port Gigabit Switch GS608 (Brought back in June). The network cabling is CAT 6A 10-Gigabit.

Anyone have any ideas? This problem occurs randomly. Because the Server is accessed quite reguarly for files and apache during the day i need to get this fixed.

I am attaching 4 screenys: 3 screenys of my computer, one when slow and one when fast. Also one at its fastest. I am also attaching a screeny of the server's connection window.

Thanks for your help & time guys!!!

Attached Files:

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There's no way you're running 10 Gbit on your setup. No way. The only common commercially available 10 Gbit solution is fiber based. And I doubt you're going to spend the money to get 10 Gbit working in your home network. Even I wouldn't spend the money and I already have an out of control home network.

3. chris6273

chris6273 Thread Starter

It isn't running 10-gigabit, the cabling is just rated at 10-gigabit (CAT6A). I'm only using gigabit speeds. Any idea why the problem is occuring?

4. zx10guy

Wanted to make sure this was clear as your post and thread title leaves the impression that you think you are running at 10 Gbit speeds.

Without knowing the entire details of your hardware and the files you were transferring, it's hard to say. Unless you have a program specifically designed to do performance/load testing of a specific link, I wouldn't trust what the OS kicks back at you for data rate. The best way to determine what your transfer rates are is to measure the time it takes via an old fashioned stop watch or just timing it with a clock. Then doing the math to get the final number.

5. chris6273

chris6273 Thread Starter

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I've tryed downloading the file via Internet Explorer & Firefox. That still says 10MB/s or below. On another computer on my network it states its downloading at 30MB/s. Still not more that 50MB/s which i was downloading at earlier on this computer.

The file was a .RAR which contained backup files.

My computer:

Processor:
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory:
    6142MB RAM

Hard Drive:
    400GB

Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

Monitor:
    Octigen 19" LCD

Sound Card:
    Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Speakers/Headphones:
    Creative M2600 & Fatal1ty Headset

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit)

Motherboard:
    ASUS P5Q

Computer Case:
    Thermaltake Soprano

Obviously it proberly isn't anything to do with my Hardware.

6. zx10guy

The specs on this computer....is this the server or your workstation? What does the other computer have that is part of this file transfer?

The other thing you have to take into account is if either computer is doing something while the file transfer is occurring....say an anti-virus software.

7. chris6273

chris6273 Thread Starter

Yes, i've tried to disable the anti-virus on both my computer and the server.

Server:

Intel Celeron D 3.06GHZ

2GB RAM

80Gb Hard Drive, 1TB Drive (Currently in RMA process)

Nvidia 8600GT (In use because of lack of onboard VGA on motherboard)

Currently in a cold attic so theres no heating issues

8. chris6273

chris6273 Thread Starter

9. zx10guy

Have you done any performance metrics on either end to see if the variability you're seeing is machine related (either end) or network?

Doing a simple perf mon goes a long way to determining possible causes of performance issues.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice