1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maracles, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

As of yesterday my computer at work has started playing up. My internet went down in the middle of browsing the internet and I have been unable to recover it since. I connect wirelessly through a belkin usb stick. I have tried removing this and then reinserting it into another usb drive however it comes up with 'found new hardware' and then 'this hardware has malfunctioned' however if I then connect either my usb mouse or usb keyboard to the same port it works fine, furthermore if I connect the usb wireless dongle to another computer it also work ok.

Even stranger is that the same happens when i attempt to connect a usb memory stick, despite using it ports which work fine with other usb peripherals the memory stick comes up as 'malfuntioning' despite working on other computers also.

Furthermore, I have tried installing drivers from the appropriate cd however this still does not fix the problem.

2. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Hey...

What's your Belkin USB Model number...

And check the list in Device Manager

Right Click My Computer and click Mange... then click device manager and look out for yellow ? and red !

3. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I have done this already also. I have right clicked and checked every thing under usb to see if it is working correctly, and also to try and update drivers however no lucky.

The USB dongle is a Wireless G USB Network Adapter. P57265uk-B Part - f5D7050uk

I don't think it is a problem with the dongle however, I think it is to do with hardware or software perhaps - although the physical USB ports must be working because all of them allow the mouse/keyboard to work.

4. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Hmm. I'll think of a solution

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice