1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Random XP Restarts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by astralboy15, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astralboy15

astralboy15 Thread Starter

I have everything I could find about my problem and couldn't find anything to fix, so I decided to post here. I'm running XP on a MSI mobo with a celeron at 2.26 I have onboad video and onboard audio (i don't relly use my comp for gamming) I also have 1 gig of DDR ram. OK, now onto the problem. This problem has been ongoing since I first put together my comp with my experinced friend, but has now just gotten more frequent. My computer really likes to restart randomly, for example, I just be surfing the net then it just restarts, no error screen or anything. This happens randomly. Also whenever I try and play a game it'll sometimes just exit out of the game to desktop, but more often, it just restarts. I have no idea what is causing this problem. I scanned for viruses and such and have none. It's not a heat problem, my chip is a consistant 96-100F temp most of the time so it's now a heat problem. Someone pleae help me out! Thanks in advance!!!

anymore info just request it..

2. mobo

mobo

Are you getting any mesages such as rpc services will shut down or something to that effect ?

3. astralboy15

no message pops up, but, sometimes when it will restart it will display a screen for less than a nanosecond that is some sort of error screen I belive, just has random numbers and I can pick up letter like osx or something similar to that......but as for a like a pop-up that comes up and say error, there isn't anything like that.

4. mobo

mobo

Control panel/system/advanced tab/startup and recovery tab/uncheck the auto restart and see if you can get an error code or something...

5. astralboy15

Ok, I set it so I get the error screen. It of course happened again and I got the blue error screen and the stop code was as followed: 0x0000008E (0xC000000S, Ox80533FD4, 0xF402F68C, 0x00000000) Don't know exactly what it means, maybe someone could help out.

6. mobo

mobo

7. mobo

mobo

i also picked this up on a search and it seems like a good troubleshooting process:

First, if you have one RAM stick, move it to another slot and reboot. Sometimes that will be the problem. It happened to me once.
    Second, Pull your memory stick(s) and replace with one (1) you know is good. It does not have to be 333 MHz, just make sure it is good. See if your problem disappears. If it does, your problem is failed memory.

Next, pull the power cords to your ROM drives and your HD. Remove all PCI slot cards. Leave in your video card. Reboot and see if your get the BIOS post screen. If you do, that's good. (Remember that it's not going to boot into Windows because you unplugged your HD.) Now replace everything 1x1 until you crash, and you found your problem. If you don't post BIOS, you are now down to your mainboard, video card, or CPU. Of the three in order of liklihood: V.Card failure, Mainboard failure, CPU (very rare).

Of all, I suspect memory failure.

If everything checks out ok, then you plug in your HD and you start to crash again, there is a program that is crashing your system or something is being loaded into memory that conflicts.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Restart the computer and run is safe mode. Does the problem still occur? If so then it is a hardware problem. If it runs fine is safe mode, that points at a software / driver / tsr problem. From your post I would surmise that it most likely is a memory or ps problem. Download and run a memory tester; here is a link.
    http://simmtester.com./
    If the memory tests out ok, take a good look at your ps. Is it of sufficient wattage to run your system? Even more important is the ps of good quality. If it was made by foxconn, allied, or deer, I would change it out.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!