1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

range extender for public wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kozykidswear, Jul 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kozykidswear

kozykidswear Thread Starter

the city I work in offers free public wifi downtown, I have a very weak signal indoors (brick building), if I go out I can get a strong enough signal to connect to the internet. would a wireless range extender give me a better signal?

2. vicks

vicks

I use a Hawkins amplified signal booster in our motorhome(has metal skin) when we are in a park with wifi and need a stronger signal. It is # HWU8DD - Hi-Gain™ USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter It works very well.
    You can find it at www.hawkingtech.com
    Worth checking into anyway. It looks like a minature satellite dish. It attaches via USB
    vicks

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/731123