1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rapid clicking emitting from comp upon bootup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DJS615, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DJS615

DJS615 Thread Starter

Alright so today I left my computer off all day and went to turn it on a few hours ago (about 2) and went to shower and get dressed. When I came back my screen had a message on it saying "BOOTMGR is corrupted and can not be loaded" or something to that effect, along with a rapid clicking accompanying it. So I restarted my computer and got the error again. I had to manually choose my SSD as my boot device and load the "options" menu to load windows 7, and it proceeded to boot. All of the hardware in it is less then a month old except for the HDD and DVD drive. So I'm curious as to if my BIOS somehow got corrupted to change my bootfirst to my HDD instead of my SSD, and what the clicking noise indicates.

If any more information is needed just ask and I will reply asap.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The clicking noise is most likely the "click of death" of a mech hard drive. I am betting that the boot mgr is installed on the mech drive.

You can attempt to test the drive with the drive maker's diagnostic however it does not sound good.

3. DJS615

DJS615 Thread Starter

So it is probably time to replace the HDD after backing up my data? Thanks again Crj :D

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Definitely yes.
    If it is already too late you may have luck with a data recovery service, but they are quite expensive.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Always have a backup. Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about. Rather than copying data from the problem drive, I would make an image of the drive with acronis true image. Install your new drive and restore the image. Done.

When you make an image, it makes one pass rather than multiple passes when copying data. If the drive is failing, you have more chance getting useful data with the image.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!