1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raspbian / Ubuntu Mate

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Damonc, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a SIM7600X card (hat) on a raspberry Pi 3 Model B. The card is detected by Raspbian & Ubuntu Mate. I'm not fussed which distro I use, as long as I can get the card to work properly.

The card has a 4G LTE modem and a GPS chip, and connects to the Pi via the GPIO pins AND usb. Using minicom I'm able to intialise the card and query its signal strength. The GPS functionality works fine.

Under Raspbian in terminal I can see a wwan0 device, that has a self-assigned IP. Unless I install the network manager I have no way of interacting with that interface through the GUI. However it doesn't allow me to connect or configure it.

Under Ubuntu Mate, I don't see the wwan0 device, however it does show the 'cellular' device in network manager, complete with the carrier and signal strength and I can set it up with the APN etc. However once I go to connect, i get an error saying that error saying the connection was removed before it could be activated.

There is a driver file I've managed to download, however all the instructions are in Chinese. I've never installed a driver under linux, so I'm not even sure where to start (its a single file ending in '.o')

I'm guessing that ubuntu mate would be the better way to go as it can at least see the card, just wondering if someone is able to offer some advice or suggestions on getting it to work.

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

I haven't used any PI hat for any of my Raspberry PIs. Raspbian is designed for Raspberry PI, so I suggest using that. I think you will need to run raspi-setup or Raspberry setup CLI to activate GPIO, I2C, and SPI connections. If this is your first time using a PI hat, try the Sense hat. It should be the first to use to try and test. This is the route I would take before using any other PI hats.

The module or driver in Linux is compiled for a particular kernel version. This means you will have to know what kernel version the module is compiled for. The file extension for a module is ko, not o. It's best to download the source code and compile the module with the kernel version that you are running. This is easy said than done. Doing this requires you to install the gcc compiler, kernel headers, and other programs to start the compile process. If everything is installed, compiling the module "should" be straightforward. The worst case scenario the source code is written to be best compiled within a certain kernel version range.

Please post the exact model and website address, so I or others can help you better.

3. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I've got the GPIO activated, I've had a touch screen and MoPi running off it previously so all good there. When activating the 4G hat its also uses the GPIO.

I had read that the module extension was .ko so I'm not sure what the .o is. But thanks for that clarification. I'll post the link to the device, manual & drivers below.

The manufactures Wiki (Driver, Manuals etc) https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/SIM7600CE_4G_HAT

The product itself: https://www.waveshare.com/product/mini-pc/raspberry-pi/hats/sim7600ce-4g-hat.htm

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. tecknurd

tecknurd

There is nothing that mentions about wwan0 device. Also, any information and manuals that I found are in English. Did you run lsusb at a terminal screen? If so please print the output. This is the first step in the manual. The next step is incorrect because the file gobiserial is a zip file. Since WaveShare gave you files that are not usually used in Linux, you will need to install unzip and 7z to decompress the files. Use either apt-get or synaptic package manager to install them. Also, don't forget to install gcc and any header libraries. You can use the echo command as an alternative to minicom. You can probably use tail -f /dev/ttyUSB0 to get messages about the device, but I don't know if this will work. If you want to end a program, hit CTRL+C. Type the command reset to unstuck the terminal when it is displaying garbage data.

6. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

I've just checked out the manual, its different to the one I had previously - also the one I had wasn't published in October - so hopefully that will explain it.

Tecknurd - Yep I did the lsusb and can see the various devices the card creates, as for the wwan0 interface I'm aware its not mentioned anywhere which makes it more bizzare - but its only there when the card is connected.

7. Damonc

Damonc Thread Starter

I'll go through those latest instructions and report back on how I go.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice