1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Raspy noise in Hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Oneoldman, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

I have an E Machine and during some part ofg every days'operation, there is a raspy noise that, while it is occuring, I am unable to "go on" to whatever I've selected.

The noise stops after five or 10 seconds and everything works fine...till the next time.

Am not techie enough to know what causes it, but assume it's the hard drive having a mild fit...alot of folks might be perplexed by me on occasion but I didn't think my hard drive was involved.

If I want to replace the hard drive is there a particular model or designation that I should inquire about, re: price, capacity, , will it "fit", etc etc?

Thanks for your help...in the past I've been lucky enough to get help from this site.

Oneoldman

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello!

Before you do anything: Back up your data! If the HDD is about to fail you can lose everything.

How old is your computer and what size is the HDD? Is it under warranty? If so bring it back where you bought it. But assuming it is not, find out the make and model of the HDD- open the computer up if you have to.

Losing all your information due to a HDD failure can be tragic and traumatizing. Considering the low cost of HDDs these days I actually recommend have a small second one for backing up all your data. But that is only a suggestion and not an obligation; the final choice is your's.

But for now, lets find out what you have. Go HERE download Belarc Advisor then post the results back here

3. rmay635703

rmay635703

sounds like either a mid 98/99 Western Digital or a 10gb era Quantum but anyway that problem means your "track" that lines up the head is no longer OK and your head is banging itself into the platter or central axis.

Anyway definately backup and find another drive. Now days AVOID low end Quantum and Maxtor as they have been crap lately since the merger. (though they have been very cheap price wise)

I can't believe I'm saying this but Western Digital and gasp Seagate seem to be the most reliable lately. Maxtors are OK on their more expensive models. Avoid fujitsu and Samsung as most of their drives aren't very reliable.

Anything up to 32gb should be recognized by your system regardless of its age (most non award bios systems recognize up to 40gb) and most older units will take any size drive if you use the drive overlay software that comes with the drive. If you are using Windows ME, 98, 95 don't use a drive that exceeds 120gb.

What year is your machine anyway?

Cheers

4. Oneoldman

Oneoldman Thread Starter

Much thanks..I'll print out your reply and look for one of your suggestions...I did have the idea that the drive was defective tho I thought that it wouldn'ty work at all if it was...My E Machine came from MEI in Ohio about 3-4 years ago.... it's been ok since then..I like the idea they have by supplying a CD that enables erasing the entire hard drive and re installing it, plus the m98 program....I tried reformatting a hard drive about 7 years ago on a differnt machine and it greyed my hair overnight....It continues to amaze me to see how well so many youngsters understand how all this stuff works, internally.

5. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Wow! If you are talking about me I'll take that as a compliment. I haven't been a "youngster" for 30 years!;)

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Backup alert.. Backup your data now. And whatever you do, don't smack the PC on the side like my girlfriend did. :D

After 3-4 years, it's probably out of warranty unless you have an extended one.

You'll need to buy a new one. Check with the manufacturer to find out how large a harddrive your PC can handle.

Good luck. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!