1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Rather Technical Memory Matching Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BerretSO4, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BerretSO4

BerretSO4 Thread Starter

Greetings, helpful and wonderful people. :)

I currently have a 2x2gb setup in 2 of my 4 DIMM slots on my motherboard. The timing is 8-8-8-24. The speed is DDR3 @ 1600MHz, and it is a matched pair. They run at 1.65V,

I am looking to expand this memory, but the pair I have picked out to add to the second bank (the remaining two DIMM slots) has differences in the size, voltage and timing. I have tried my best to research this problem before creating a thread but haven't found an answer detailed enough to explain why this would or would not work. Anyways, here are the details on the second pair.

2x4gb, same brand (Crucial). Timing 10-10-10-28. Speed DDR3 @ 1600MHz, matched pair. Running at 1.5V.

The three differences are the size (4gb vs 2gb per module), the timing (CAS latency 10 vs CAS latency 8), and the voltage (1.5V vs 1.65V).

The motherboard can handle all the specs of the possible new pair. Crucial's website confirms compatibility by suggesting this pair with its scan utility.

HOWEVER, my question is: What will happen in my BIOS configuration when I put this new pair in the second bank?
    1. What will Dual-Channel, what will not, and why?
    2. Will I have to manually reduce the latency of the second pair, or will I have to manually increase the latency of the first pair, in order to make them match? Will this result in a major speed decrease?
    3. Will the difference in voltage be modified automatically? To which? (1.65v or 1.5v?)
    4. Is it actually worth it to keep the original 2x2gb pair once I get this new 2x4gb pair? In other words, will I actually see a speed decrease in some regards if I try to mix them, versus just ditching the old pair and sticking with two perfectly matched DIMMs?

Your insight is GREATLY appreciated. I have spent a while trying to plan ahead on this.

Thank you for reading.
    -BerretSO4

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, I don't think that putting a 1.5v and 1.65v set will be a very good idea. If you run the 1.65v set at 1.5v you will probably get errors and if you run the 1.5v at 1.65v you could damage the chips on the RAM. Anything over 8gb unless your a heavy multi-tasker will not make any difference to performance.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. BerretSO4

BerretSO4 Thread Starter

Hi jack-o-bytes, and thanks for the reply.

Do you believe that a chip running 0.15V higher will decrease the life of the chip by an amount more substantial than a three-year upgrade eventuality? You have an excellent point, but I am not sure that it will serve practical ramifications, if you catch my meaning.

Thanks again for the input.

And EDIT: thanks also for the performance note. I will take it into consideration. I do tend to do video editing and such documentation on my computer, so I do believe that 8+ will help me. You have helped me come to this conclusion - thanks!

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well, I have a set of RAM that is currently running at 1.9 which is 0.1v over what it should be from what I can see on the chip, However when I lower this to 1.8v which is what it should be the computer keeps crashing and freezing up. That shows how much difference just 0.1v can make on a system. I personally wouldn't be able to tell you if it would last but judging from how delicate RAM chips are I would doubt that.
    You could always just sell the 1.65v kit and buy your self some more 1.5v or vise versa.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Using mis-matched ram is asking for a problem. Will it work? There is a slight possibility that it will work; there is a much larger possibility that you will have stability problems, memory errors, etc.

Unless you set the timings manually in the bios [which is not going to be available in any big box system ie dell, hp, etc] the memory timings are set by the first chip ie the one in slot 1 or sometimes called slot 0. If the ram with the tighter timing is in the first slot, you will be running all ram at the tighter timing AND that is most likely going to lead to errors.

In short, no one can give you a definitive answer as to whether it will work or not. Most likely it will not however you might get lucky. You are in effect a beta tester.

6. BerretSO4

BerretSO4 Thread Starter

crjdriver,
    My mobo is designed for manual settings as you describe.

Once I have tried the timings and everything I will post my success/failure, as well as mobo specs and what-not. I believe the information would be worth it to the community.

Edit: thank you both for your input - it is greatly appreciated.

Edit Edit: btw, did anyone have any insight on what would happen with the dual-channel function? I have seen some people refer to a minimum amount of dual channel and some say that dual channel will happen just as well as having each pair in by themselves, as long as they are in their separate banks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!