1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

raybro: how good/bad is your satellite ISP?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StillLearnin', Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin' Thread Starter

Just wondering how good/bad the speeds, service, prices, etc. are with satellite. I don't have access to DSL or cable at home. The last time I talked to them(satellite outfit last year) it was going to cost me $93 a month! I said "no thanks", I'll stick with my sh*tty dialup(28.8k on a GOOD day).

2. mobo

mobo

FYI...uphere in canada I seen a system testing @ Bandwithplace.cm and the box came in at 4 megabits p/s...SMOKIN !!!!!!!!

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Prices are really high, and weather affects it tremendously. PCPITSTOP rated the connection at 2000+ downstream, and 23K upstream on the 2-way I was using at work. For surfing, it sucks - its worse then dial-up. Ping times are very high making it a no go for Internet Gaming. Needless to say, the switch was made to DSL which has a slower downstream speed but the consitency, surfing speeds, and price are much more favourable. Originally Satellite was our only option, now DSL is available and the dish is for sale. Your price is the same we were paying per month(although it was $91 Canadian) for the slowest connection they offered. Bigger, pricier dishes/setup perform better but cost even more. The setup cost not too much under $2000. Also the only connection on the modem is USB - so no standard router, unless you want to buy a special one for about $2000. With ICS it required a lot of tweaking to get decent speeds on all machines.

Also, our first head on the dish failed and had to be replaced.

4. raybro

raybro

Hi StillLearnin'... Like most things in life, Satellite internet has it's good side and it's bad and different people will have different experiences with it. That said.. Here's mine.

First off, my system is the Hughes Direcway 2-way satellite system. They also provide the ISP services including multiple e-mail accounts with 10 mb of space (I thimk). I paid about $600 for the quipment installed and aligned about 2 years ago. It costs me $59.99/month. It has and extenal modem connected via USB along with a software program.

There is NO question the system is faster than Dialup, at least here in my location. With dialup n my best day (and they could get worse) I could get maybe 2.5 kbps download. Start an update from M$ and walk away for the day. Yeah ... great internet experience.

With the satellite, I can get as high as 2.1mbps download and 35kbps upload. Don't even think about it for on-line gamimg . Way to much latency. most of the time the download speed runs between 400 and 800 kbps and upload between 15kbps and 20kbps. More than good enough for my needs.

Of course there is always the weather outage problem. That can affect your connection in both your loacation and the network operation center in Maryland. Snow can be real bad. It does not take much buildup on the diapole to cut you off. The tech support is OK. I'd say about a 6 on a scale of 1 -10. The ironic aspect there is that's one of the times I most want a connection. I like to monitor the weather channel along radar and satellite images on the net during storms.

I also had some dish alignement problems about 6 months ago. Direcway paid for the local company to make a service call and fix it. Only problem, it took me almost a year to convince them it was a real problem and not my system. They do tend to grab onto that lame old copout just like everyone else. And like most customer service outfits, it very much depends on WHO you talk to. Got ahold of an engineering type (someone who understood how the system works) one day and he ran an "Isolation Test" on my system. It failed and that's what got me the sevice call.

If I had the option of cable or DSL... I'd take it. But I don't, so I consider the satellite system is way better than dialup.

Hope all this is of some help in your decision. :cool:

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin' Thread Starter

I have always understood the weather ups/downs and living in the Midwest,USA isn't the most conducive throughout much of the year for satellite internet usage(I've been told). It seems to be adversely affected more than satellite tv reception. I don't game online so that's no big deal. I'm stuck with a decades old phoneline that barely has voice quality and too far out for cable. We have cable at the shop, after trying DSL which turned out not to be worth a d*mn through Qwest(formerly USWEST). I've become a master concerning modem performance. Guess I'll just keep puttin' along. Thanks for the info, it verified my fears.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice