1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RCA A31 Radio Capacitor Voltages

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Evanco, Dec 4, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Evanco

Evanco Thread Starter

Okay, so my mother has an RCA A31 tube radio. I learned that I have to get it recapped (some 39 capacitors!). I am completely new to this, so when I went to the store, they said that I need to know the voltages for each capacitor.

My question is this: does anyone here know where such information may be found? I know it's a long shot, but you guys are so good at this and I have been helped before.

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

They recommend every capacitor in the antique radios be replaced because they break down with age and if they short the can take out a coil that can't be found but they still make replacement capacitors. I think most are rated at 600 volts and you are going to need a soldering gun (100/200 watt). The tubes don't go bad just sitting there. Electrolytic type cans might be harder to find. Usually they have 3 ranges with a common ground. I saw a schematic for an A30 but it didn't show the voltages. The highest plate voltage was 330volts, usually use 450 volt caps for that. I have some old books with schematics and tubes back to the 20's. I need to donate before I am gone (71) Ha Ha.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

5. Evanco

Evanco Thread Starter

In fact I knew about the schematic and downloaded it, but does it say where the voltages are? Thank you both for jumping in on this.

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

7. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Did you get all the pages? There are about 9 pages. I would download them and take a look but I need to be a member to do so. I don't wish to do that as I have to give them my e-mail and because of this (We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice