1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RCA jacks era technology question?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by tonyacardo, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I have a Sanyo TV that is quite old. It has RCA input/output, cable, and s-video on the back of it. I have a Phillips DVD player that allows me to put a memory stick into it and play movies in Xvid format only (occasionally it will play a DivX but sometimes it won't).

The DVD player also has an HDMI port.
    If I hooked up an HDMI cable from my home computer to my DVD player would it allow me to play movies from my computer so that I could see movies that are not in Xvid format.

Or is that HDMI port only an output port.

I don't want to buy the cable unless I think it will work. I also don't want to move everything so I can semi-hide the HDMI cable.

I also have a wireless modem, is there a way to buy a a usb modem , put it into my DVD players usb port and directly send the movies from my computer to my DVD player.

I guess what I am really asking is:
    What is an inexpensive way to get non-Divx formatted movies to my TV. Is it cheaper to just spend 200 dollars or so at Walmart and buy a smart TV?

Anyway, thanks for considering my question.

PS
    my computer is modern, it has HDMI outputs. in case you were wondering what the age of the my other gear is. I realize RCA inputs are pretty old.
    .............................................................................

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16330 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 488383 MB, Free - 328844 MB; D: Total - 599895 MB, Free - 420464 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1157955 MB; G: Total - 830893 MB, Free - 434520 MB; K: Total - 3815413 MB, Free - 1989753 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
    Antivirus: Panda Free Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

The HDMI port is almost certainly output only.

3. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No need for a SmartTV, get any modern TV and connect it to your computer via HDMI or VGA and watch anything and everything, browse the web, play games, etc.

Or use one of the numerous free software converters to convert the movies to the XVID or other formats that the DVD player supports and continue using it. You may even even want to see if there is a firmware update for the player that allows greater media support. But the HDMI port as mentioned above will be only an output.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice