1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RCA Surge Protector Power Strip Info ???

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by BearKiller, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

This is the power strip that one of my computers was connected to when it took a lightning hit and fried the graphics card:

http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/power-chargers/surge-protectors/?sku=PS27010BR#manuals

I cannot find any details whatsoever about this device, not even on the RCA site.
    I figure that after the lightning hit that it is probably now no more than a power strip; however, I like to know the facts about such things.

I have no idea what color the two indicators were before the strike; now, both are amber.

Does anyone know the particulars about this strip and how to tell when it is a dead soldier ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello there! Sorry for the delayed response. Are you still wondering about this one?

I would replace this outlet strip. If it helped during the lightning hit, the circuits could very well be damaged. If it didn't help and contributed to the graphics card getting knocked out, the strip isn't very good and you might want to consider getting one of better quality.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor

Also late to the party. If you had damage to equipment attached to a surge protector from what you suspect is some sort of power surge (lightning or otherwise), there's no point in trying to reuse that strip. These strips are designed to shunt excess power to ground up to a certain threshold. After that the MOVs in the strip pop to kill power. Also these MOVs over time degrade as they're exposed to any type of "mini" surges. You definitely want a surge strip which provides some sort of external monitor to show the health of the strip.

I had a power surge not from a lightning strike but from power lines being crossed many many years ago. The long and short of the situation was the Monster Cable surge strip I used for some equipment in my master bedroom fried. It did its job and sacrificed itself to protect the electronics connected to it. Monster has a great warranty where they replaced my strip free of charge. They also have an attached equipment insurance that covered damage to equipment up to a certain dollar amount. The customer service rep asked if I needed to make an equipment damage claim. Fortunately I did not. My neighbors were not so lucky. Both suffered thousands of dollars in damage with one neighbor having a smoking DirecTV receiver box.

That situation also got me to do something many people don't do which is install a whole house surge protector. I installed one shortly after what happened above myself. Since I have a SquareD breaker panel, I installed a SquareD whole house surge protector which has modules to protect against surges over the phone line and cable. The nice thing about the SquareD unit is the status indicator on the outside of the module to show the protection condition of the module.

If anyone uses surge protectors, it should be mandatory to install a whole house surge protector.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice