1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RCA TV Flickering

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by dman120567, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dman120567

dman120567 Thread Starter

I have a 35" RCA CRT TV that flickers and has thin black and white horizontal lines when you first turn it on. You can still see the picture it just has a lot of flickering. After about 10 minutes is slows and finally stops and all is fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dman

2. hotskates

hotskates

did you just get the t.v.? the reason I ask is because our 37" RCA had a defective drum that they replaced free of charge. Luckly we discovered it right away because we didn't buy the extended warranty. It was covered under the 30 day warranty that came with the t.v. Its a common problem with RCA t.v.s ever since they started making the larger models. They tried to get away with putting drums in that were used in smaller t.v.'s

After we had the drum replaced about 3 yrs. ago, its worked great ever since.

3. dman120567

No, I bought the TV around '97-'98.

4. dman120567

By the way. What is a drum unit and what does it do?

5. hotskates

hotskates

I don't know what a drum unit is....(I just know it rolls inside the t.v).....Ours was defective from the factory and they knew exactly what was wrong when we called up and told them the symtoms (flickering and thin black and white horizontal lines like your t.v.). Yours may have some other problem though. Who knows.:confused: Do you have a repair man close to you who can troubleshoot? Or have you considered upgrading to a fancy new flatscreen?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A "drum" sounds like it's a projection TV, maybe this is a standard tube TV, which would have no drum. :)

I'd be betting on the HV power supply, it's by far the most failure-prone part of a TV.

7. hotskates

hotskates

I've never had a t.v. that lasted 10 years. They always seem to wear out by the 7th year or so.(usually right after the warrenty expires) :(
    I wonder if the parts will even be around for this t.v. to be fixed?
    Especially since t.v.s made 10 years ago are going to be obsolete with all the widescreen, HDTV, LCD, plasma, etc... models out now.

8. ARTETUREN

ARTETUREN

As John Will said, high voltage or weak capacitor in power supply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703495

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice