1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RDP access with Server 2012 R2, turns off

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by jking0826, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jking0826

jking0826 Thread Starter

I recently did an in place upgrade of Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2. Everything seems to have worked well, except with RDP. I like to remote into the server using RDP from an external machine, such as at my home office. This has worked well when on Server 2008 but now I periodically lose this capability...I get the typical message that the server is off, or not connected or remote access is turned off. Remote access is turned on and working as I can go to another machine on the network and then RDP from there to the server.
    This 2012 R2 server is my Hyper-V host and has very few if any other roles installed. It is dedicated to running my VM's. One thing I noticed is that when it was on 2008, I had a static IP set to 192.168.24.164. When upgraded to 2012, it kept this IP, but I did not have Internet access. This particular IP is reserved in DHCP. The only way I can get Internet access is to run through the Trouble shooter aplet on the NIC config screen. It turns on DHCP and assigns another address of 192.168.24.64, also one that I reserved in DHCP.
    All VM's run fine and users can access all apps, etc. I just can't keep RDP access open. One thing to note is that if I reset the NIC, by re-assigning the address, RDP is available again, but will become un-available again later in the day.
    Any thoughts? I would be glad to have an expert log in remotely and pay for time if required.

Thanks,

Jeff King

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice