1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

RDP From ISA or WRT54G

Discussion in 'Networking' started by oddballracing, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddballracing

oddballracing Thread Starter

This is my first post on these forums, though i have read a few useful resolutions for some of my previous problems.

Anyway, here's what i have on my plate. Currently i have a network that communicates with the internet via an ISA 2006 Server. Everything from Mail Transfer to Client Internet Browsing is routed through this machine. Before i go any further i must let it be known that i do not administer this network internally, as it is used by one of my clients. I administer this network as well as many others with varying configurations from my own office (configured similarly, just on a larger scale). The network in question also has a linksys WRT54G router running DD-WRT that i had originally put on site to make original configuration and Telus OCA registration more convenient. Now i am trying to set this little router up as a secondary way of opening a remote desktop connection to a machine on the internal network in the event that there is a hardware failure or instability on the isa server.

From the experimenting that i have already done using identical routers on my own network i have come to the following conclusion - The internal computer will only respond to the request if it comes in on the router that is configured as that computers gateway. The problem is that i still want all traffic to be routed across the ISA Firewall until i open a terminal session to the internal machines and change these settings MANUALLY. Also, i have configured the router(s) to forward the RDP port 3389 to a selected computer on the internal network.

My question is as follows, what can be done to allow my desired configuration to work without having to specify the default gateway on any of these machines to be the linksys router?

P.S.: the default gateway is not a problem for my personal computer in my office as i already have my WRT54 designated as my default gateway for my personal applications that i have decided not to route through isa. (uPnP) support on the router is preferred for what i am doing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!