RDRAM Help, "Unsupported ram in Rimm1 and Rimm2"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

invain

Using a Dell Dimension 8200. Two sticks of 256 RDRAM PC800. I bought two more sticks of 128; Samsung PC800 45ns ECC Rambus ram. I turned off my computer, pulled out the two filler sticks in RIMM1 and 2, and put the new sticks in. Turned on the computer, and it took me to a black page, with a message about unsupported ram, or something like that, and to use only 800-40 or faster ram. What's the problem?

40 nanosecond (800 - 40) is faster than 45 nanosecond RAM.
The first figure (800) is speed, higher is faster, but the second figure is time where higher is slower.

You fitted 45 ns RAM, the message tells you it needs 40 or faster.

Lower nansecond speed (ns) = faster, just like 40 seconds is faster than 45 seconds

invain

Aww man I feel stupid. I forgot it was backwards. Dangit, now I gotta resell these sticks....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online