1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re: a problem with the Dell inspiron 1100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reble, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reble

reble Thread Starter

This Dell Inspiron 1100 (os xp pro, a 1gig cpu around 1gig of main memory and a 250gb hard drive) is working but it offen will reboot it self, prog's lockup and shut down and both Firefox and Internet Explorer will crash and shut down. I need to fig out why it crashes and reboots it self. I have a spare 1100 laptop that I can take spare parts off of. The motherboard in the 2nd laptop is dead. I know it is an old laptop but this is what I have to work with in a portable setup to take with me until I can afford to replace it with a newer laptop.

Steve

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    It seems like you have enough ram and a decent sized hard drive. it could be any number of things causing it but i dont think the motherboard is the problem.you might want to have it looked at to see what the exact problem is and then go from there tho.

3. dai

dai

see what dell diagnostics throw up

check the temperatures and the air vents are clean

4. reble

reble Thread Starter

I checked and cleaned the air vents and the cpu fan. If I remember right the cpu fan is supposed to be on all the time, right? I am not sure if it is staying on all the time. Dell support won't give me the time of day because the laptop is to old. What do you mean by "dell diagnostics"?

To SUEOHIO, you said "you might want to have it looked at to see what the exact problem is and then go from there." If I could afford to put the laptop into a repair shop. I would rather spend the money on a newer or a brand new laptop.

5. dai

dai

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Having it diagnosed by a reputable repair place shouldnt cost that much.They will tell you exactly what is wrong and then you have to decide if you want to fix it or get a newer one when you are able.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice