Re-assigning drive letters

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

georgeg2000

I've just added a second hard drive to my computer which already has one hard drive (C:), a DVD-rom drive (D:) and a CD-R/RW drive (E:). The new drive came in as drive F:. Is there an easy way to make the second hard drive my D: and bump the DVD-ROM and CD-R/RW drives down to E: & F:? I've looked at the various threads here on changing drive designations but they seem to only refer to hard drives, not reassigning the DVD and CD-R drives. Any ideas?

Right click on My Computer \ Manage \ Disk Management. Right click on the drive you want to change and select Change drive letter and path. Make sure no other drive has the letter you want to use. If so, change that drive to another letter prior to changing the one desired.

Note: You can not change the Boot drive letter!

georgeg2000

OK, now I see where I went wrong. I opened up disk manager in minimized mode and didn't notice the scroll bar on the side so I didn't see the disk drives listed. Thanks, now I've got the drives in the order I prefer. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online