1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re: Comcast digital receiver and related setup

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Zoomly, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoomly

Zoomly Thread Starter

Hello everyone!
    New to posting here, but I've been a reader for awhile!

In my household, we are big TV viewers and recorders. Sad to say, we still are in the "dark ages" with a circa 1998 Zenith TV, a Sony VHS VCR, and a Polaroid DVD player/VHS VCR combo.

As it was, we could timer record Program 1 on the Sony VCR, we could timer record Program 2 on the Polaroid VCR, and we could be watching Program 3 live - ALL AT THE SAME TIME. THREE different shows - 2 recorded and 1 live.

Now, we have been required to use a Comcast digital receiver in order to view the expanded cable channels, and this has thrown us for a loop.

Our old setup was as follows:

-Coax cable from wall to a 2-way splitter
    -From the splitter: one coax cable going to the Sony VCR (VCR 1) and one coax cable going to the Polaroid VCR (VCR 2)
    -From VCR 1 to the TV directly: one RCA (red/yellow/white) cable set
    -From VCR 2 to the TV directly: one RCA (red/yellow/white) cable set
    -From VCR 1 and from VCR 2: one coax cable from each to another 2-way splitter
    -From the single end of the splitter to the TV directly: one coax cable

The new setup with the digital receiver is pretty much the same, except for the beginning part:

-Coax cable from wall to digital receiver
    -From digital receiver to a 2-way splitter: one coax cable
    -From the splitter: one coax cable going to VCR 1 and one coax cable going to VCR 2
    -etc.

As it is, it seems as though I am now only able to record Channel 4 (the default channel).

-Question 1: How do I set it up to be able to record (timer or live) a different channel? How about one different from the one I want to watch live?
    (In doing research, I found that this should be somehow possible. The digital receiver as I understand it is a single tuner. I should be able to record and watch with the one VCR, but I would not be able to do so with the two VCRs.)

-Question 2: If indeed the digital receiver is a single tuner, would it make sense or even be possible to get a 2nd digital receiver in order to use both of my VCRs - with one receiver dedicated to VCR 1 and the other to VCR 2?

-Question 3: If, as I strongly suspect, my two VCRs have now been officially rendered obsolete by the digital receiver, would it make sense to replace them with two DVD recorders?

-Question 4: If DVD recorders wouldn't work for what I'm trying to do, would my only feasible/logical option be to upgrade to digital video recorders (DVRs) - let's say, TiVo (either from TiVo directly or Comcast's TiVo box)?

-Question 5: If I went with TiVo, would I need to get 1 or 2 TiVo boxes to connect to the TV?
    (As I understand it, TiVo's exist either as a single tuner or a dual tuner. With a dual tuner, you supposedly can timer record, say, Program 1 and Program 2, but you could only be watching a previously recorded program at the same time that this is happening - not anything live. If I wanted to do my THREE different shows at the same time - 2 recorded and 1 live - I'm guessing that I would need, at minimum, 2 single tuner TiVos. Am I right or wrong?)

-Question 6: If I went with TiVo, how could I get DVD hard copies of recorded programs?
    (As I understand it, there is only so much room on the HD in the TiVo box, so I would imagine it would make sense to periodically get some of the programs off of it - in DVD format - to make room to record anew.)

Bottom line, I just want to be able to get back to my THREE different programs (2 recorded / 1 live) TV watching routine again ...
    So any and all ideas, suggestions, recommendations, solutions, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice