Re-enable mup.sys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

norton850

A co worker gave me her system to look at. After an electrical storm and power outage it would only boot as far as the Windows splash screen and then restart. It's an old Celeron system built by a member of our former tech department (now out of business and we work elsewhere). It probably had Windows98 on it and unfortunately someone installed XP even though it doesn't come close to meeting the requirements for XP (and is therefore painful to work on).

I used one of my XP discs and ran safemode with network support (nothing else worked) and it started booting until it got to the mup.sys file and hung. I couln't get it to copy the file from the CD using the command prompt and had a rough time with the repair console, maybe because it didn't meet XP requirements? It wouldn't copy the file there either. It finally accepted the "disable mup" command and booted up. Things seem OK and I have since copied the file, but will there be any problems with that disabled. I've tried to read up on what it does, but it didn't help much. This system is non networked and just connects to the internet with a 56K modem--which apparently also got fried during the storm.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online