1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-enabling monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XP_FTW, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XP_FTW

XP_FTW Thread Starter

So I have a desktop PC (windows xp pro 3) Hp Pavillion a1230n. So i wanted to be cool and make my computer have a dual monitor, so i put in hardware that i took from another computer that has a s-video port, VGA port, and a retro-looking monitor port, i forgot what it's called. So I hook this up and upon startup that new port is the one that is running the monitor, instead of my original VGA port that is hooked up to my motherboard. I figured that I could get a monitor to run through the original VGA port if i disabled the new device. Long story short, it didn't do that. What it did do: the monitor worked and showed the startup of windows and everything, but once I reached the login page, it was a black screen. Obviously my computer still is working because I can manage to log in blindly. Yes, I realize i can take out the new hardware and my monitor will hook up to the original VGA port fine, and run nicely, but I want to just try and re-enable the device I disabled. Any ideas?

NOTE: Safe mode isn't working. It just loads the files and sits there. I let it sit for about twenty minutes and still no luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice