1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-format gone wrong !

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by jasnick, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

I did my own some months ago without incident and am now trying to re-format and re-install Windows 98SE for a friend but am going wrong.

I am pretty sure it is re-formatted as it said "format complete" but am lost now as to the next step. No option that I choose seems to work and I get messages like "invalid system disk"and "cannot create temporary directory".

Would appreciate it if someone could explain IN VERY SIMPLE TERMS what to do next to get Windows re-installed.

(Later)

Actually, it hasn't been reformatted at all as I just managed to restore things as my friend has GoBack installed - which would surely have been removed had the format been successful. So need instructions for re-format and re-install. Don't understand how I did it so quickly last time and yet this time can't get to first base.

Thanks

2. NT4.0

NT4.0

1) Boot from a Windows98SE CD or any bootable DOS diskette/CD that would have format.com utility.

2) run FORMAT C: and this will reformat your system partition (all data, of course, will be lost). if you want to reformat the whole HDD altogether, you need to run FDISK, delete all partitions (with all the data), and create a single FAT32 partition (if you have a large HardDiskDrive, it may not take up the whole space).

3) run SETUP from the WINDOWS CD installation directory and follow the instructions.

P.S. Sorry didn't see you had a 40G HDD. In this case, the FAT32 partition will take 32G as a maximum and you will have 8G left for (an)other partition(s).

3. junker39

junker39

Hey NT4.0, 98SE will run all the way to 137Gig on a single partition. With the proper software you can go past that. Just thought you'd like to know.

4. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

Not sure what you mean by "boot from Windows98SE CD" -did that - it doesn't seem to have a format utility - the computer just booted in the usual manner. I couldn't go ahead and just install, as it has not been re-formatted yet. It doesn't have a 40gb hard drive (that is mine) - his is very small but contains only a few docs and not many programmes so no problem about losing data. I have the original Windows boot disk and used that.

This time, I booted with no discs and pressed F8 and then selected Command Prompt Only and at the C prompt typed format c: . It said format complete then something about Volume Number, I pressed Enter and now there is another C prompt. Haven't a clue what to do now.

5. NT4.0

NT4.0

2 jasnick -- what does it show after you boot up from a CD? to boot from a VCD, you need to set "Boot from CD" in your BIOS, insert the CD and restart the machine. it should boot up from a CD.

well, it looks like you have formatted your hard drive. now you need to run Windows Setup from a CD. i am not sure if the drivers for your CD are written out in your CONFIG.SYS, that's why it would be better to boot from a CD so that you could access the installation files on the CD. just try typing d: and Enter, then dir (you press Enter after each command), and if you see the CD rolling and the files, find the Windows installation folder, it could be something like W98SE_PE. so you type "cd w98se_pe" which will take you into the directory, then type "setup" and it all should start.

2 junker39 -- do you mean you got a FAT32 partition larger than 32 Gig? i thought it was a file system limitation, just like 2G for FAT16. what kind of software did you use? is this file system stable?

6. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

Yes, but how do I get out from where I am now? The format complete dialogue is still visible and the bottom line is Volume Number is (whatever). I am at a C:\> prompt - if I type d: it says Invalid drive specification.

7. NT4.0

NT4.0

jasnick -- now it is clear that your CD-ROM drivers are not loaded. to load everything needed for Win98 setup, you need to boot from your Win98 CD. insert your CD and restart the machine. if it does not load from the CD, set "Load from CD" in your BIOS and it should be alright.

8. Filewasp

Filewasp

You could try to type e: setup with the win 98 set up disc in the cdrom drive. I know that the cd rom drive is "d" but when you use the f- disc meathod the drives sometimes jump up one letter. give it a try.

9. TOF

TOF

You need to delete the partitions to do a clean install. Formatting is not neccesary. The installation cd will give you the options to create partitions and format on setup.

Partition command

10. Filewasp

Filewasp

I am confused can she still do a normal boot up? If so she can format from the ms-dos command and skip the f disk which seems to me to be a complete hassle.

11. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

I'm confused too !!!! It seems I have not managed to re-format as I have just used GoBack and am back to where I started. Fdisk method? What is that? Was I using it?

I am now restarting in MS-DOS mode, typed in format c: it seems to have formatted and I clicked Enter at the Volume Number thing. I am now at a C:\> again. WHAT NOW ?

12. TOF

TOF

You have to disable GoBack first. Right click on the icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and select options.

Use this command

13. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

Disable GoBack - OF COURSE - I don't use it myself so had forgotten about that aspect.
    This time the formatting is taking a lot longer - I thought it was rather quick before - so maybe this time, things will work out. Will keep you posted. Thanks everybody - but don't go away yet !!!!

14. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

Am now into setup so things are looking good !

15. NT4.0

NT4.0

jasnick --

congrats! i'm off to hibernation --->

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice