1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re formating drive C and Re installing win XP without a CD rom drive ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Suzzistar, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Suzzistar

Suzzistar Thread Starter

Hello guys,

I need to reformat Drive C in my laptop and then re install Win XP, but the thing is my CD rom drive is not working, so im unable to boot up the machine and install XP. How ever i have an external CD/DVD RW drive and also an Eternal Hard disk and USB pen drive and Windows 98, Me, 2000 and XP and Win 7 CD's

So Is there a any way to install Win XP back on Drive C using the resources i have ?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    only if you have the option in the bios to boot from USB , I suspect you dont as XP is quite old - a lot of new machines allows for booting from external DVD and USB devices

you may have a recovery partition on the drive

whats the make and exact model of the PC

if you can still access the windows on the PC
    control panel>
    administrative tools>
    computer management >
    disk management >
    post a screen shot
    Disk 0 may have a hidden partition

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here

3. Suzzistar

Suzzistar Thread Starter

Hiii Thanks for the reply Etaf,

I still haven't formated the Drive C and i hope i can do the formatting part using the external CD/DVD rom drive ya ?
    I check the bios screen and went to the boot order section under boot devices as i can rem, and there were options which involves USB, although im not sure whether they will work after i format the drive C:/ hmmm

THis is a HP Compaq Presario C700 i have attached the screen shot you requested. :)

and cant i download the XP setup files from the CD to a different partition of the primary hard disk and then install it from there ? after formating C

Attached Files:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    on HP drive D: is often set as the recovery partition

heres details on how to do a system recovery using that partition
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&docname=bph07145
    BUT first make a note of all your hardware in device manager
    OR
    you can use a program like www.belarc.com - and keep that available as you will need to download all the drivers for that machine - I would do that first and also download them all and make a copy onto USB
    heres a link to that model
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3466274
    you need the EXACT model number and then click on that link to get to all the drivers

5. Irukku

Irukku

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972689

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice