1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-Formatting Hard Drive (C:)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Big_Gig, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Gig

Big_Gig Thread Starter

I am seriously considering doing the big "No-N0" and re-formatting my hard drive. My ex-wife will have this computer for a few months and I want to make absolutely sure that there is nothing on it that she might be able to find and use against me in a custody battle. In addition, I had Windows 2000 installed and it failed (locks up everytime you try to boot), so I installed Windows XP, which works fine except that it normally does not allow me access to all of my old files/programs. I have tried to remove "2000" a number of times in vain. I have everything I need backed up on CD Disks. I would feel more comfortable allowing my ex to use the computer if I have re-formatted the hard drive. There are other reasons as well, that I won't go into right now. I have the Windows Installation cd disk and so would be able to re-install XP. Considering that this is a done deal, any advice?

Thank you very much,
    Gig

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

This would be the time to install "SP3." It in effect will put in place "SP2" and the over 100 updates thereto rather than going through the usual updating. I would run "chkdsk /r" before removing the present OS.

{redoak}

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice