1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-formatting XP computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stuartp77, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stuartp77

stuartp77 Thread Starter

If I re-format my HD using the XP facility, I believe I boot with the CD-ROM in, choose "Install Windows XP", New Installation (Advanced) and re-formatting begins.

But I need to know, does the re-formatting take in the whole HD, as I have it divided into two parts, C: and D:. And does it then leave the HD as one partition and/or give me the procedure how to divide it into two again?

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stuartp77

2. Rache

Rache Banned

It will auto see the existing partitions and give you the options to delete partitions or create partitions and also to format.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

4. stuartp77

stuartp77 Thread Starter

Hi Rache.

Thanks for your help. As you can tell, I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of computer operations. So may I ask you another ?

My HD is 30 gb and the few programs I use (including the 3rd party programs I "couldn't resist installing", some of which I think have caused my problems) still leave me 80% of the drive unused. So I'll be most careful after re-formatting only to use those that are essential for every-day computing, nothing fancy, as I don't have much time for much else anyway.

But is it necessary to have two partitions in such a smallish HD? I was keeping Win XP and utilities on C:\ and programs and data on D:\. But my WPs files from Open Office are in My Documents now which is on C:\.

Thanks and best regards,

Stuartp77

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

When you use a second partition for the data, you need to change the location Windows stores the My Documents files

Right click in My Documents . . select Properties . . Move . . navigate to the second partition ( D: in your case ) and when it asks if you want to move the files, select yes.

From then on, the default location for My Documents is on the second partition. This can be very handy if you are forced to reinstall the Operating System.

There is no advantage to putting applications on the second partition since they must be reinstalled after the O/S is.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and then recreate one or more, then proceed to formatting and installing XP.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice