1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-Formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matix, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Matix

Matix Thread Starter

Need some help.

My computer is all messed up. First off, while booting up

It says

Invalid Boot.ini
    Booting from C:\windows\

That doesnt seem to affect my computer at all but I may just be naive. Anyhow, my main problem is, I cannot play any games on my computer. While playing, I either get the microsoft error, or I get the WinXP Blue screen error. The error seems to be based around my Graphics driver. I have tried several different drivers for my graphics card, as well as 2 different graphics cards.

Ge-Force 4 ti 4200 128mb and a Ge-Force FX 5700 ultra 128mb both of which get the same error while playing.

I did have a virus earlier but I got rid of it, not sure if that could be the cause.

When i get the Blue Screen error, most of the time is says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

But sometimes it doesnt say that at all or sometimes it says something different.

Anyhow, I have tried everything in my limited knowledge of computers to fix this problem but to no avail. My MAIN problem is reformatting.

I do not have the cash to shell out for a win XP disk. My computer was a gift and custom made. It did not come with a win XP disk and here is where im stuck. Is there any way to get this problem fixed cheap? Or get my comp reformatted? I would really like to get it reformatted because they split my hard drive and gave my logical drive the main brunt of the disk space. I just like having everything on one drive. Cant stand these FAT32 drives.

I have had this computer for 2 years now with no problems until now.

WinXP
    AMD Athlon XP 2000 (1.6ghz)
    Ge-Force FX 5700 Ultra 128mb
    768mb Ram
    Asus A7V333X motherboard
    Onboard sound

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Even though it was a gift and custom made, "someone" should have the XP install cd, as XP can be installed on only one system, unless you are running a pirated version, in which case we won't be able to help.

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Two questions come immediately to mind.
    What is on the logical drive? Maybe a back-up?
    Also, FAT32 has nothing to do with the drive at all. That is in the hands of the person that formatted the drive in the first place.

4. Matix

Matix Thread Starter

No its not pirated. I asked him about it and they said it would have cost them alot extra for the CD and they figured I had one. But i beleive they ripped him off. I too thought the windows disk came with the computer.

5. ~Candy~

Hmm......so, you don't really know if it's pirated or not? What they are doing is highly illegal to say the very least. You cannot install XP on a system and sell it without giving the buyer a legal copy of the software you installed.

I'd be curious to see what this report turns up:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx

6. Matix

Matix Thread Starter

Well ill ask him where he got the computer. In the meantime, any suggestions for a fix?

7. ~Candy~

Actually, no. You've pretty much alluded that the XP may not be legal, thus we can't assist further.

When you have further details, email or pm me and I will reopen this thread. But for now, I must close it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice