1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re formatting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stellaking89, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stellaking89

stellaking89 Thread Starter

hi is there any way i can re format my laptop even though i dont have a start up disk or a windows backup disk and if there is can you help me do it please

2. hollywoodam

hollywoodam Account Closed

hey, you do need an operating system disk like windows xp, vista ext. - with a valid product (license) key, it normally comes with the computer when you buy it. if you have this, the steps are very simple, but may vary a little depending on your operating system disk.

so if you have the disk (with valid purchased product key), please let me know what OS it is so i'll be able to guide you through the formatting and installation...

3. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

What make & model is the laptop?
    Most laptop manufacturers have some kind of Factory Recovery Procedure that will take the laptop back to it's out-of-box state. This procedure wipes and reloads an image of the system from the 'recovery' partition, the recovery partition is often hidden.

Post back and tell us what make model you have and we can advise you further.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Stella:

The computer specs icon next to your username shows a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop. Are we dealing with the same computer? If it is, look on the label on the bottom of the case, then advise what the full and correct model number is.

When you start it up, does the logo screen advise of a key to press to access a recovery partition? Most new computers come with a recovery partition built into it so the manufacturer doesn't have to provide a recovery kit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice