1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re Freshing Backup Drive D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matelote, Nov 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matelote

matelote Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ted
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7661 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (756 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (62 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

My Backup drive "D" (2TB with only 62 Gb free)) is some 6 years old, an obviously contains a lot of old data, as such as its just about full, as such I want to Refresh it by Deleting all data. and re assigning it as the my backup drive.
    My Drive "C" has 756 GB free of its 1Tb.

Can I, reassign my Backup Drive (Temporarily) to Drive "C" and Reformat Drive D, then reassign it as my Backup Drive.

AS a Novice your detailed assistance and guidance would be appreciated
    Regards

Matelote

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You can reassign different letters to your drives. However the one containing Windows, probably, not change, as it is in use by the system.

If all you want to do is to wipe your second drive? Then go to Disk Management and delete the partition. REMEMBER that ALL data will be lost.

After deleting the partition you can create a new one and proceed to format it.

AGAIN: ALL DATA WILL BE LOST ON THE DRIVE WHERE YOU DELETE THE PARTITION.

3. matelote

matelote Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ted
    If I remember correctly I think that this Drive D has more than One partition, so I want to remove all partitions and dedicate the
    drive to Backup

As such how do I proceed ????

Matlote

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Go into Disk Management and right click on a partition you want to remove then click on Delete Volume, do the same for all other partitions on the drive, then right click on the Unallocated space and then click on Format and create a single NTFS partition using all the Unallocated space.

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Allan is right.
    Again, because It can't be said enough. ALL date on the partitions you remove will be deleted FOREVER.
    If you have something there you think you may need in the distant future? Back it up, twice.

EDIT; Spelling errors etc. I can only, at the moment, write with my left hand.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice