1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re: how to del a locked virtual drive on a usb flash drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by reble, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reble

reble Thread Starter

I just got a new/used Acer Aspire One laptop. The OS on the Acer and my home computer (a Gateway laptop) is Win 7 Home 32 bit. A Cruzer 4gb USB flash drive came with the Acer laptop.
    The USB flash drive has been split up. 3.73gb's is on the original (drive letter G) and 97meg's is on a virtual drive (drive letter F). According to Win 7 computer management. The virtual drive on the USB stick is locked. Every attempt to dump the virtual drive and make the hole USB flash drive 4gb's with 1 drive letter have hit a dead end. I can reformat the 3.73gb on the original drive letter G but the virtual drive F remains read only. And I don't need the prog stored there anyways.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Have you tried using a free disk tool like Parted Magic?

In any case that 97Mb may be just what is left over on the drive when the rest is allocated to a partition.

3. reble

reble Thread Starter

Parted Magic doesn't work. The main desktop loads up but nothing on the desktop works. No folders will open and no shortcuts on the desktop to prog's ether. The only thing on the Parted Magic desktop that works is the transparent stat's on the right side and the and the clock in the lower right corner. And the 97mb is not just the left over unallocated part after formatting. There is a prog on that 97mg and the 97mg has it's own drive letter.

4. reble

reble Thread Starter

I got the Parted Magic working. I wasn't dbl clicking on the desktop icon's fast enough. But Parted Magic didn't wipe out virtual drive. I did find out that the virtual drive isn't virtual. It is a mounted drive.

5. DaveBurnett

Does it let you list/browse the files on that partition?

6. reble

reble Thread Starter

Yes it does. And I can start the prog. But that partition is read only. I can't add a new prog, write to the partition, del the partition or change the file name. I did find out something from Parted Magic. That partition in question is a mounted partition, not a virtual partition.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  8. DaveBurnett

Can you list the files??

9. reble

reble Thread Starter

10. reble

reble Thread Starter

yes

11. reble

reble Thread Starter

Ok I am at home now. The SanDisk U3 model number is SDC76-4096RB. The (R) 2nd to the last digit I am not sure if it is an (R) or a (P). The letter is partly warn off due to age.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    This link http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2550/~/removing%2Funinstalling-u3-launchpad-on-a-pc
    shows 3 methods for removing the U3 software and formatting the stick.

I could find nothing for SDC76, SDC76-4096PB or SDC76-4096RB.
    I even tried SanDisk Cruzer 76 figuring SDC stood for those words.

Even the SanDisk site said SDC76 did not match anything.
    Source: http://srch.sandisk.com/search?q=SD...t=wwwsandiskcom&output=xml_no_dtd&getfields=*

Models of SanDisk Cruzer are : Fit, Glide, Blade, Facet, mini, micro
    and perhaps a few more I have yet to stumble across.

13. reble

reble Thread Starter

I online chatted with SanDisk tech support today. Change the model number from SDC76 to SDCZ6. I tryed a new search on SanDisk's web site with the new model number and found nothing.

14. DaveBurnett

The only Sandisk USB stick I have had U3 on it, but I removed it many years/ages ago and it is now a standard stick.

15. AdamG32387

AdamG32387

If I need something deleted, especially in the case of a partition, I do it from within Linux because the permissions can be set to "totalitarian" simply by enabling root access. Gparted has worked well for me in maintaining data integrity during a partition expansion.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice