1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re-instaling xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by somak_de, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

i use p3 859mhz ,winxp. from sometimes my computer has become terribly slow so i want to go for a re installing of os. but i dont have any back up of my hard disc.
    i feel if i format c drive i'll need to reinstall all the drivers and sofwares again. in that case if i install xp over the present one without formatting,will the softwares work?
    what precautions should i take before re-installing if something goes wrong to restore my previous settings? will system restore do that?. are there any software for that? specially i want to know whether reinstalling will affect my other drive's content and to my peripherals: printer,modem etc.

2. zephyr

zephyr

It's much better and often easier to clean up and repair the existing system rather than reinstall.
    Download, install and run HiJackThis (see link below) and do the scan. Then save the log and copy it and paste it to a post in the Security forum here. Title the post, "Hijack log help please." You'll get expert opinion on how to get your system healthy and moving fast again.

Regards.

3. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

thank u for your help. but i have done that before and my log is clean as said by the expert. only after a lot of try i am going for a re install

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can easily do a "repair" installation. That will let you keep all your present docs and software, and the majority of your drivers will be used again, too. But you will have to reinstall the Windows updates. If you didn't download and save the updates last time, you may want to consider it this time to save you the trouble (or a friend) if you ever need to reinstall again.

Directions on doing a repair installation:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

5. somak_de

somak_de Thread Starter

i generally update manually as i have a slow internet connection so it is not possible for me to download hugh things like service pack 1. i kept all the update installers. can i use them again ?
    You said "majority of the drivers can be used again", well you mean i might loose something? can u elaborate a bit?
    anyway thanks for all the help and merry christmas

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, you can use the updaters that you downloaded already. Then, you can go to WU for any that may be missing.

As far as drivers----when I have done repair installations in the past, Setup used the majority of the drivers I had updated. In other words, my NIC driver, mb drivers, etc. were the updated versions after repair. But my video driver had to be reinstalled---setup used the generic XP driver.

So, some of your drivers will need to be reinstalled, probably, but I can't say for sure which ones. I suspect, however, that setup uses the updated drivers if they are WHQL drivers and uses XP drivers if the newer ones are not WHQL.

These "repair" installations really are easy. I have done them maybe 10 times (I test a lot of beta software) without a hitch when I probably could have used System Restore (which also has always worked fine for me). It is always nice to see that old desktop with even the same wallpaper pop up after the process completes.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/189655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice