1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-Install of Win98 no cable modem?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by davefrey, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davefrey

davefrey Thread Starter

I had to re-install windows 98SE, and now windows does not recognize my cable modem. I tried re-installing the driver from the cd that came with my cable modem. My cable modem was installed by my isp, and I have no idea what they did but the driver cd had not been used before. However when I popped it in to my cd rom drive it didn't find any drivers on the cd from the manufacturer of my cable modem. The modem is from SMC networks model number SMC8004CM, and that is about all I know. I am currently using a friends computer to ask this question. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. hewee

hewee

You only need to install the cable model drivers if it is for a USB hook up.
    If it's hook to a nic card then your need in install the software to that card.

3. davefrey

davefrey Thread Starter

Thanks. I took out the nic card, re-installed it, and then I installed the software. However I still have no connection to the internet. It keeps claiming that there is an unknown device named Win5602 Modem Line Interface Card that needs drivers to be installed.

4. hewee

hewee

5. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever

Hi again hewee,

Don't mean to horn in on anyone else's post but your link to 'Calendar of Updates' on your post is an excellent informative site.

Thanks for posting it for myself and any other forum visitor lucky enough to click on it.

Regards,

2harts4ever

6. hewee

hewee

Glad to help you out 2harts4ever. It is a great site to go to everyday. I even won free software there a week or so back. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice