1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-install of XP on Dell Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gkm24, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gkm24

gkm24 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

HI,
    I have a Dell GX280 Optiplex slimline and I am in the process of a re-install of XP as I had some faults with it.
    I have the official Dell re-install disc but I did not find this until I put an official Windows disc into the drive. The set up has got to the point where it is asking for the COA license number on the side of the pc but it will not accept this as it is already assigned to the pc via the Dell disc. I took the disc out and put the Dell disc in and restarted but it still gets to the same point and asks for the license number.
    What I really need to do is halt the installation, re-format the drive and put the Dell disc in it as I know that this will work. I am not doing anything illegal here.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

You are always better off using the Recovery disc for your system as that contains all the correct drivers which you would otherwise have to download from Dell.

If you do as you say and reformat the hard drive and install from the Dell disk that would be the way to go and if you still have a problem with the license key not being accepted you will have to contact Microsoft for a new key.

3. gkm24

Thanks for your reply but I can't remember how to format the hard drive from where I am as I am in mid install,
    Regards,
    Graham.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

You will need to start the install again if you are going to swap to the Dell disks.

5. gkm24

Yes, i do need to restart it but if i put the dell disc in and start it up it gets to the same point again. How do I get the part installation off and start with a clean hard drive?

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

You do not need to remove the partly installed installation, just start again with the Dell disk and as I said earlier: if you still have a problem with the license key not being accepted you will have to contact Microsoft for a new key.

If you need to format the hard drive simply boot from the XP disc and select 'R' to get to the Recovery Console, at the Command Prompt type in format c: and hit the Enter key, that will wipe the drive.

If you have any problems with that you can use Gparted:

Download Gparted from here and follow these instructions.

I would advise you to make a full back up of all your important data before making any changes, just in case something goes wrong.

Keep hitting enter during boot up to choose the default settings, you only need to enter anything when it asks for your language preference.

It will reach a screen where it will show the contents of your hard drive.

Follow this Tutorial

To format a drive:

Right click on the partition and select Format from the menu, then select NTFS from the next menu.
    Then click on Apply on the top bar. Confirm the format and allow it to run until complete, then click on Close.
    Double click on the Exit button (top left) then select Shutdown or Reboot from the menu and click OK (you will hear a load beep).
    The CD draw will open, remove the disc and close the draw. Hit the Enter key and the system will close down or reboot (depending on your previous selection).

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you boot from the Windows XP disc, is the Press any key to boot from CD command appearing?

----------------------------------------------------------

Do you have the Windows XP drivers for that Dell OptiPlex GX280?

----------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1094414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice