1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re-install Win98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gkm24, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gkm24

gkm24 It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I have an IBM thinkpad 600 which I want to reinstall Win98SE on but I do not posses a floppy drive to make a start up disk. I do not want any of the data on the pc and want to do a fresh install to cure some small problems with it such as when i click on the internet shortcut it says it cannot find the files. Anyway, I just got it from someone else so I do not know what rubbish is on there so want a clean installation. How do I go about this? Thanks very much.

2. inetbogey

inetbogey

Hi gkm24,
    you should set the bios to boot fom the CD drive then put the win98se disk in the CD drive and when it boots, it will say "boot from the hard disk" other choice will be" boot from the cd"
    pick "boot from the CD" then the 1st choice is "start windows setup from CD rom" pick that and follow the setup prompts. good luck.

3. gkm24

Thanks for that I was'nt quite sure. Now then, anyone know how to access the bios on a IBM Thinkpad. Once I know that, I'm in business. many Thanks.

4. gkm24

I tried that, but it didnt work. Can anyone give me a step guide of how to re-install Win98SE onto my IBM Thinkpad so i have a fresh install as there seems to be files missing. thank You.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can't boot from the CD and don't have a floppy, that somewhat limits your options.

You could:

1. Take the hard drive out,
    2. Connect it with an adapter to a desktop computer,
    3. Format it so it will boot,
    4. Copy the source files to the hard drive,
    5. Put it back in the laptop,
    6. Boot and start the install.

Needed to to it that way several times in situations like this.

6. gkm24

I have just bought an IBM floppy off ebay so will try with a boot disc when it arrives. i may also try your suggestion bob. Do I just install in my desktop and then format it from the bios? Will it clash with the IBM bios if they are different? Thanks very much.

7. inetbogey

inetbogey

You did not say if you were able to access the bios or not. the closest thing i have to an IBM laptop is an IBM desktop. to get to the setup screen you hold the control key down and press the "S" key. this will show you the boot order. read the bottom of the screen to find out how to change it.
    let us know how this worked out for you.

8. gkm24

Managed to get into the bios by holding down F1 during power up but the bios is different from most pc's. Anyway I am now waiting for my floppy drive to arrive and a copy of Win 98SE before doing a format and install. Probably be back for advice when it arrives. If anyone can give me a step by step on formatting and re-installing on an IBM Thinkpad, I would be most appreciatice. Thanks once again.

9. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

10. gkm24

This is going horribly wrong. I got to A:\> format c: and pressed enter, it then said checking existing disc format, recording durrent bad clusters complete. Verifying 3,905.96M and then re-starts and says incorrect disc or something. Now it seems to be totally useless. i am going through the process again to see what comes up. Please HELP. One other thing, when I rebooted with the boot disc in the drive, it just loaded normally as if it was not inserted??? Now it is asking volume label(11 characters, ENTER for none)? what is this?

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"I rebooted with the boot disc in the drive, it just loaded normally as if it was not inserted?"

It doesn't sound like it booted from the floppy disk. From your first post "I do not posses a floppy drive". So what are you trying to boot from and will your computer boot from it? For example, if you got an external USB floppy drive, does your computer support booting from an external USB floppy drive.

12. gkm24

I now have a floppy drive with the disc i made from my pc Win98 SE create a back up disc but I am at the stage as in the previous post.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Again - So what are you trying to boot from and will your computer boot from it? For example, if you got an external USB floppy drive, does your computer support booting from an external USB floppy drive.

14. gkm24

I have no idea. i set the bios to boot from A then D then C. it is an IBM Thinkpad. i am trying to boot from the floppy.

15. gkm24

it has now come up with A:\> with a flashing curser

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice