1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-install windows keep Ubuntu Intact

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tasuke, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tasuke

tasuke Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have Ubuntu dual-booted with Windows 8 on my laptop.

I need to re-install the windows 8 but would like to have the Ubuntu intact cause I have a lot installed in there and cannot afford to have to re-install it too.

How do i avoid messing up the Ubuntu boot loader? :confused:

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. :D

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I think the most important question is how do you plan to re - install 8
    The reason I say that is that on the laptop more than likely if it was sold with windows 8 pre installed and you plan on using the recovery partition on the HDD then unless I have missed the point you are going back to as sold

However I am sure if you have the knowledge to have installed the dual boot in the first place you have of course made other arrangements

For instance if it was the downloaded Microsoft upgrade and you created the install media on DVD then of course you can simply reinstall to the Windows partition

Either way your GRUB2 bootloader will go as the reinstall of 8 will overwrite it

That in itself is I think NOT a problem

Use this - see page 2 EasyBCD recover boot loader
    http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/11/05/dual-boot-windows-8-and-ubuntu-12-10-on-uefi-hardware/2/

I should I think tell you that while I have myself on this computer a triple boot with 8, 7 and XP
    and have dual booted two others in my time with Ubuntu and XP and Ubuntu with Vista I have NOT dual booted 8 and Ubuntu so I cannot advise you from actual personal knowledge.

That said I cannot see it being any different. Certainly if legacy mode was enabled.

If only secure boot was disabled and the UEFI and GPT partition scheme is in place then I must warn you I am less than certain.

3. tasuke

tasuke Thread Starter

Thank you for the info Macboatmaster

I did not consider much of that before. But I have decided instead to tripple boot (an experiement) . I have not tried this with any of my computers.

But thanks anyway for the considerations, and if you got anything related to my new venture, please go ahead.

If i succeed i will let you know here.

4. saikee

saikee

An installation of a MS Windows cannot mess up a Linux Ubuntu unless the user instructs "specifically" to destroy the Linux partition.

I say this because the Linux partition is not supported by MS Windows which must install a driver just to read it. Thus a MS Windows does not know how or can use a Linux partition.

Just re-install Win8 in its original partition assuming you have the source DVD..

As long as you ensure the Windows installer leave your UBuntu partition untouched your Ubuntu is safe. Since you have installed Ubuntu as a dual boot I therefore assume you haven't got EEFI firmware or GPT partitions which could be a pig to add extra OS to the PC.

5. Macboatmaster

6. Macboatmaster

tasuke
    How did you go on please

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice