1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-install worked great - that's the problem...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Illuminaughty, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Thread Starter

Hey guys,

So after attempting and repair-install (xp pro sp2) I ended up having to RE-install and was able to recover ALL of my data (this was largely thanks to the helpful people here, and their friendly advice) but that's also kind of the problem too.

I now have a dozen versions of Owner, Guest, etc. My programs and downloads are all over the place and are missing pieces necessary for functioning. Thousands of empty files (that I'm reticent to delete because of their possible value/necessity) and paths that lead to nowhere.

What I want to know is:

Is there a way to consolidate/trim down the registry (this is the area that I'm least familiar with), to eliminate some of these loose/dead-ends & file paths?

Also, I am the ONLY user on this machine. What (if anything) can be done to trim away some/any of the fat? For you see, I have gigs of it.

I know there are some services I can stop too (fast user switching for example) any tips there would be great.

Thank you in advance!

2. zabusant

zabusant

Well, I believe there is absolutely nothing to be gained by "trimming down" the registry - since the unnecessary entries take up only a reaaaaly small amount of space and they also do not hurt the speed of operations - since windows doesn't search or use the whole registry for a specific operation, but only the specific entry. As for files that used to belong to programs that you now cannot use (since the reinstall) - there is really little use for them, you'll have to reinstall these programs anyway. To better organize your files, you could use the windows search function - let's say you search for *mp3 - this will find all the mp3's that you could than move to a "my music" folder or something.

3. zabusant

zabusant

4. Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty Thread Starter

Ok, I get whatchur saying, and the sequoia thing is brilliant...but lemme ask you:

When I go to My Documents I get:

Administrator
    Admin.windows
    User
    User.windows
    (name)
    (name).windows
    And so on and on...

...and so forth...there's about 10...THIS is what's bothering me. I guess I was just wondering if this was a common phenomena and if so, what do most folks do about it?

5. zabusant

zabusant

Never seen that before. All I've ever seen is the "Default user" and the "All Users" folders (next too the users folders). So with 3 users on my PC, I have 5 folders in total. You should right click a file in those folders and view properties - to see when it was last modified (the folders themselves are probably new and created during install to avoid conflicting filenames or something). Then at least you'll know, what's the old stuff, and what the new is. Can't help you any further I'm afraid, since I have no experience with this specificaly

6. dez_666

dez_666

i have seen .* affixes before in the `Documents And Settings` folder before...at my school.
    they use a domain server and one of the accounts in there is affixed with the domain name.
    I believe its caused by having the same account localy and on the network, ie, the accounts that im speaking of are `Administrator` and `administrator.<domain>`

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you have your data backed up I would do a 'clean' install, format the drive and install XP again.
    It could take ages to fix your present set up and you would never know if it was totally reliable.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice