1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re-install xp home on laptop (Tiny)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by busterdog, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. busterdog

busterdog Thread Starter

2. Rockn

Rockn

The question is, what does XP give you that you can't live without? If Win98 works well enough why bother with XP? I am not sure about the differences between the home and pro editions, but I would assume it would have network capabilities on both versions. I am assuming they set up your laptop with the admin stuff on for network security reasons. Unless you have the instalation CD or recovery CD from Tiny, you might be out of luck re-installing the home version.

3. busterdog

busterdog Thread Starter

4. Rockn

Rockn

No hu hu.....The reason you don't have the OS is because Micro$oft doesn't want you to have a copy for licensing and piracy reasons. The manufacturer is supposed to put the installation files on the HDD or on a recovery CD of some kind though.

I think the IT staff was looking at it from a security standpoint because I believe you can access the networks user manager with XP Pro and change or add user accounts if you have access to this. You would be surprised what users who you would think know better will do on a network. Maybe they just forget we can see everything they do or just don't give a rip....LOL

Call back if ya wanna set up file sharing!!

5. busterdog

busterdog Thread Starter

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Some techies are good, some are bad, some just don't care and some are just complete jerks.

Now as far as them putting it for network control, since you are going to be using the laptop both at home and at work, they probably decided that they did not want you to have administrative privileges on the network and just put you into a standard group. What I have done in the past with those situations, is to give the person local admin rights to the machine, but no network control. Of course there is no telling if those people really know what they are doing with Xp.

They also might have looked at it this way, that since you have brought it to them and are going to be using it for work that they will now have to support the laptop and they have locked you out from being able to make changes so they will not have to work on it as much. In fact some corps actually have this as a policy.

I would try to find one of them that is pretty friendly and ask them about the policy.

7. busterdog

busterdog Thread Starter

8. pappasmurf

pappasmurf

Firstly TINY?????? *slap* If you'd have asked your techies they have told you not TINY!!

Secondly a little knowledge of I.T. can be very dangerous, more dangerous than none at all.
    You to me appear to have a LITTLE knowledge. Your techies probably know that!! They're bound to have more I.T. knowledge than you, so I feel that you should listen to what they say and do your own job and leave them to theres.

With regaurds to XP - Win98 XP is a far better operating system.

The problems where more then likely caused by upgrading the operating rather than a "clean install" I'm sure that your techies would know this also, and probably recommended this to you??

The administrator privlages: I agree that you have admin privalages on your laptop when you work at home. You should beable to install software on your own laptop. The problem is using this laptop at your work place.

When your in a work environment administrator privalages have much more weight with them. You can change/delete information that doesn't belong to you, you can set up additional user accounts for use on works networks. (basically echo what Rockn said)

About win95 PC LOL, you don't like your I.T. department do you? Did they not rectify this when told about it????????

I think your I.T. techie should rethink giving you admin privilages. Or you ask him to remove them. You might end up being a scapegoat if something goes disaterously wrong. BE CAREFUL.

Merry Xmas everyone.
    The defender of all techies hurraaarr!!:D

9. busterdog

busterdog Thread Starter

Okey dokey, here goes.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice