Re-installed windows now i have no audio at all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robinbruce

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8058 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 451 GB (420 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0VTKDK
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I re-installed windows 10 on my laptop and when it started there was no audio at all, not even when using headphones. troubleshooter couldn't solve the problem. When i go to audio devices in the control panel it says that no audio devices are installed.

In device manager it says 'Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error when trying to install it. IDT High Definition Audio CODEC - A Device Attached To the system is not functioning'

Please help!

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I see from the system info that you have a Dell. Have you tried going to their support site, entering the Service Tag, and then checking the available drivers?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 laptop - which has IDT 92HD94 high definition audio.

What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

The install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit should've automatically installed the driver for that audio device.

Which version and build(1507 10240, 1511 10586, 1607 14393) of Windows 10 did you install?

Last edited:

robinbruce

You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 laptop - which has IDT 92HD94 high definition audio.

What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on yours?

The install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit should've automatically installed the driver for that audio device.

Which version and build(1507 10240, 1511 10586, 1607 14393) of Windows 10 did you install?

Service tag is JXFHLW1, express service code 43380263953. 10.0.14393 build 14393

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Service tag is JXFHLW1, express service code 43380263953
You have THIS Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 laptop.
It shipped in August 2013 in the U.K. and came with Windows 8 Home 64-bit.

It does have IDT 92HD94 high definition audio
Capture.JPG

10.0.14393 build 14393
That laptop came with Windows 8 64-bit, so it would need to be upgraded to Windows 8.1 64-bit before it could be upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit.
Or a clean reinstall of Windows 10 64-bit was done in it.

How exactly was Windows 10 64-bit reinstalled in it?

robinbruce

You have THIS Dell Inspiron 15z 5523 laptop.
It shipped in August 2013 in the U.K. and came with Windows 8 Home 64-bit.

It does have IDT 92HD94 high definition audio
View attachment 253434

That laptop came with Windows 8 64-bit, so it would need to be upgraded to Windows 8.1 64-bit before it could be upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit.
Or a clean reinstall of Windows 10 64-bit was done in it.

How exactly was Windows 10 64-bit reinstalled in it?

I just did a standard system reset from the control panel. i had the latest windows 10 before and the same now. do you think it would be worth me doing another reboot to see if anything changes?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've never used Windows 8 or 8.1, so I have no idea how the upgrade process to Windows 10 goes with it.

If I want to use Windows 10 in any of my Dell desktops or laptops, I do a clean install instead of doing an upgrade install from Windows 7.
And after Windows 10 is installed, I remove almost all of the multimedia/messaging/gaming apps that come with it.
I've been very successful in using this method and haven't had any program or device issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------

robinbruce

I've never used Windows 8 or 8.1, so I have no idea how the upgrade process to Windows 10 goes with it.

If I want to use Windows 10 in any of my Dell desktops or laptops, I do a clean install instead of doing an upgrade install from Windows 7.
And after Windows 10 is installed, I remove almost all of the multimedia/messaging/gaming apps that come with it.
I've been very successful in using this method and haven't had any program or device issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Ah ok. I think i'll try another reboot just see if anything changes, but thanks anyway flavallee

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome, and good luck. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

crjdriver

Just do a clean install booting from a usb install drive. You can clean install windows 10 using your win8 key [if necessary] since you have/had 10 on this system previously, you should not even need to enter a key. Download and create the relevant install using the media creation tool;
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
Before installing, do the following;
1 Go to the support page and download the drivers you need ie inf driver, sound driver, nic/lan driver, wireless driver, etc, etc. Place these [along with any utilities you need] on a flash drive
2 Boot the system from the install usb
3 Complete the install then install drivers in the following order; 1 install inf driver, 2 install sound, nic, touchpad, etc, 3 install video driver
4 Once windows is installed, check to see it is activated. If it is activated then make a backup image and store on a NAS, external, network share, whatever. If you ever need a clean install in the future, it takes all of 5min or so to restore the image. Clean install with drivers DONE

Note failure to install in the referenced order can result in drivers not config correctly.

crjdriver

One last thing. When using the media creation tool, be sure you select the correct version of windows that corresponds to your key ie home/pro 64bit/32bit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online