1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re-installed Windows XP and cannot connect to home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jpbelangerx, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpbelangerx

jpbelangerx Thread Starter

Hi
    I have an old IBM Thinkpad R51 (1836). It was loaded with viruses so I re-installed Windows XP. (2002 version). I can no longer connect to my home network or to the web.
    I can ping 127.0.0.1 and all is good.
    I cannot ping my router.
    ipconfig is empty.
    I have the 1394 network adapter installed and enabled.
    I have to ethernet controller and no network controller.
    I searched the web, downloaded and installed several drivers and no luck.

What do you recommend?
    thank you for your help!!!
    JP

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Since 127.0.0.1 is your own machine, that doesn't really mean much.

Are there problem devices in Device Manager? Are all your drivers installed?

Only install drivers from the manufacturer. All drivers are available on their web site if the machine was sold with the OS you are using.

3. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

4. jpbelangerx

jpbelangerx Thread Starter

Ethernet controller, multimedia audio controller, network controller, pci modem, sm bus controller, universal serial bus (USB) controller, unknown device and video controller all have a yellow question and exclamation mark.
    The Windows XP version I installed is from an original CD but not the one shipped with this machine. Is that a problem?
    tnx
    JP

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Double-click each of those entries with a ? mark.

That will open their properties window.

Click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Id".

You will see a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of the string.

Advise what the numbers and letters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_.

Those vendor and device codes will assist in identifying those devices, so be careful not to make any typos.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's not a problem if the serial number worked. But you will need to go to the manufacturer's site and download and install drivers. The chipset always goes first and the others after that can be installed in any order. If you have no intenet connection on that machine, then download the chipset and network drivers on another and copy to CD or USB key so you can move the downloads to that machine. After those are installed, you can get online for any others.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IBM sold their PC business to Lenovo; here are the drivers for your machine. The ones VictoriaiiCe linked to may also be fine, but I'd get the official ones when possible.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice