1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-installing 98SE on a packard bell (=S) knackered floppy?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hendo_s, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

HTML:
    <font face="times new roman">
    Hey there.
    So I got a Packard Bell Spirit 800 RF off my grandad cos he was upgrading and saw no use in it - sadly i have minimal documentation/discs etc.

The first mistake i made was to DOS hack and accidentally format the disk erasing everything. Since, I have had to either 'SmartRestore' or reinstall windows, generally eradicating all the s#!t on my HD.

Then, I tried to take the drivers that my Laptop with XP was using to run my iPod and crack 'em on the desktop - 98SE was having none of it and i had to wipe re-install my entire system. Then the sound card wasnt working but 'worked properly' when i got it back to 'normal'. ANYWAY:

Okay, so, I have my Physics Coursework on it now - and only an actual paper copy of it not on any computer anywhere. I deleted VMM32.vxd and all the things that were assosciated with the sound card (ntkern etc) to try and reinstall it and get it working again - i didnt realise at the time that VMM32 was an archive vxd. Then it was required to start windows when i reebooted - obviously i didnt have it! (n) (n) (n) I obviously cant download a new one. I got a random system *.vxd off my laptop, put it on a floppy and renamed it to VMM32.vxd but that was never going to work - if i start up my pc without any floppy now it goes straight to the oh-so-cliche "It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer" screen.

Now when i tried to reinstall Win98SE (The only way of doing this with my computer is to put in a reinstall floppy, and 3 CDs - i think it may have been some sorta package or some crap) it got to the point where it was extracting MSTOOL.exe and TOOLS.exe and they both failed (never happened before). I got DOGLUE.exe off the floppy and copied it again twice - renamed 'em to MSTOOL.exe and TOOLS.exe and tried again (to fool the pc so i could at least start up). No hope.

I think i am well and truly fxcked - I CANNOT delete what's on my hard drive so i need help - any downloads for the real MSTOOL.exe or TOOLS.exe would help (maybe) Or any other solutions????

And my coursework is in on Tuesday!

HTML:
    <font face="times new roman" size=8pt>HELP PLEASE?!
    Thankyou all very much in advance, and here is my tech spec as good as i know it:

Make: Packard Bell NEC
    Model: Spirt 800 RF
    MProcessor: Pentium III 800MHz
    128RAM
    20GB UDMA-66 HDD
    Sound Chip: 128 Voices Sound Stereo

Also, if you think you can help with any of the other issues i have outlined please don't hesitate to post - it's urgent!!

Steeve xXX.

2. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

Actually, the missing file is called MSTOOLS.exe not MSTOOL.exe.

I think I would be able to restore it all via msconfig, but I cant get that up via the CTRL+ALT+DEL, New Task, msconfig.exe way because C+A+D just resets the computer.. I've tried holding down the CTRL button after the POST to run it in Safe Mode, but then it loads the It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer screen. I deleted the fake VMM32.vxd so now when i do safe mode it says
    UGH on the plus side, i XCOPY copied my physics corsework to a floppy and put it on my laptop, but i still need to not delete the stuff on my computer. Even if there is a way to do it that would erase everything please could I know?

Is there a way to do it using REGEDIT for example?

Thanks

3. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

I got a wee bit bored waitin' for a reply so i decided to go ahead and get the VMM32.VXD from my PC with Windows ME figuring that it couldn't be that different. I put it on a floppy and copied it into my C:\windows\system\ file (where it was originally) NOW when i start up my PC without floppy boot, i get a message saying something like

"Windows Cannot Run With Current MS-DOS.

Please upgrade to version 8.0"

I decided that my ME computer must have that to run so i copied the command.com onto another floppy, and Xcopied it over my normal command.coms - EXCEPT I cannot overwrite the one that I'm using - the one in C:\, and the one that is used by default. Effectively, then, when i start up my computer, although it has the newer command.com on it, it cannot be used as it is not the default.

If i try and run another command.com (the newer) I receive a message now (w/out floppy) saying something like:
    "Type the name of the command.com (eg, C:\command.com)
    >>"
    When I write in C:\command.com, or C:\windows\command.com (the new one) it just wont accept it and promts me again.
    ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

(The Windows 98SE reinstall floppy still doesnt work)
    Help?!

4. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted my VMM32.vxd (see other post in this forum) and bored with waiting for a reply i decide to do the wrong thing and get the VMM32.VXD from my PC with Windows ME figuring that it couldn't be that different. I put it on a floppy and copied it into my C:\windows\system\ file (where it was originally) NOW when i start up my PC without floppy boot, i get a message saying something like

I decided that my ME computer must have that to run so i copied the command.com onto another floppy, and Xcopied it over my normal command.coms - EXCEPT I cannot overwrite the one that I'm using - the one in C:\, and the one that is used by default. Effectively, then, when i start up my computer, although it has the newer command.com on it, it cannot be used as it is not the default.

If i try and run another command.com (the newer) I receive a message now (w/out floppy) saying something like:
    >>"
    When I write in C:\command.com, or C:\windows\command.com (the new one) it just wont accept it and promts me again.
    ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

Help?!

5. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted my VMM32.vxd (see other post in WIN98SE forum) and bored with waiting for a reply i decide to do the wrong thing and get the VMM32.VXD from my PC with Windows ME figuring that it couldn't be that different. I put it on a floppy and copied it into my C:\windows\system\ file (where it was originally) NOW when i start up my PC without floppy boot, i get a message saying something like

>>"
    ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!

Help?!

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You need to make a bootable floppy and create a folder on it with the correct Windows 98SE versions of vmm32.vxd and command.com inside the folder (so you don't over-write the other command.com). Boot you PC from the floppy drive and copy vmm32.vxd and command.com to the correct locations on the hard drive.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you've made a bad situation worse. Why not install W98 over the existing installation, that's a repair installation. Your applications should still be there,

8. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

I'd LOVE to, but I have no way of recreating the VMM32 (reinstall not possible, and no other 98SE pcs). This means that I cant have the original VMM32 or anything close to it (unless there's a way of recreating via DOS?), so i whacked in the ME VMM32 and just need to 'upgrade' the command.com. :confused:

9. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

10. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

How can the floppy drive be faulty when you just used it to copy a system file?

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've merged all your threads on this issue, please do NOT post multiple threads on the same issue.

14. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

Sorry bout the multiple posts, guys - it began as violently urgent and I wan't really getting any help so I just resorted to multiple posting.

Anyway, Frank4D, I have three windows 98SE based CDs for like master resetting/re-installing/smart restoring etc, but the command.com is on the floppy which is used to start the reinstalling (which is not working).

Recently I tried to run OEMSETUP and wrote in the serial number, but it just came up with the dialog box that SHOULD say "Insert Master CD1" but it is just blank, and when I press what should be 'OK', it just cuts right back to MS-DOS.

15. hendo_s

hendo_s Thread Starter

The floppy drive is NOT faulty - the floppy that came with the computer which is for re-installing 98SE.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice