Re-installing Notepad on Windows XP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plissken99

For whatever reason Notepad has started freezing whenever I try to save a document. This is incredible annoying as it's my favorite note writing program. Wordpad scrambles anything thats pasted into it.

Control panel/add remove programs/Windows components doesn'twork. As Notepad is not listed in the accessories folder, even though it appears that way in program files/accessories. So, how can I fix this?

Thanks

My guess would be to go to start>control panel> add remove/ programs>windows setup tab> click on accessories (if it is checked, uncheck it and apply) then recheck it and reinstall it and apply. Be sure to have your WinXP disk handy as you may be prompted for it. :)

plissken99

"My guess would be to go to start>control panel> add remove/ programs>windows setup tab> click on accessories (if it is checked, uncheck it and apply) then recheck it and reinstall it and apply. Be sure to have your WinXP disk handy as you may be prompted for it."

Did that, same result.

"This will install items missing in the Accessories group.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Accessories.htm "

Just tried it, same result. :(

Notepad for whatever reason does not appear in my accessories when I go to the actual directory. It only appears in C:/Windows and C:/Windows/system32. So anything I do to the accessories doesn't seem to effect it at all.

Hey plissken99,

Another FREE substitute for Notepad is "Crimson Editor", here:I haven't tried Metapad as buf suggested, so that may be just as good.

Crimson Editor, however, has tabs so that you can write several files at the same time (I didn't see this feature in Metapad). As one user has called it on these boards, Crimson Editor is like Notepad "on steroids".

I've used the Crimson Editor software for quite some time and found it more than satisfactory.

So, you have at least two choices now . . . Metapad or Crimson Editor. And I'm sure if you Google something like "Notepad substitutes", you'll find more. There are an abundance of FREE Notepad substitutes on the Internet, so try a few and see what suits your style.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online