1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-installing win 98 after reformat hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by garyfoster, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyfoster

garyfoster Thread Starter

When trying to re-install win98 with the CD it would keep giving me message,,cannot find file,,,most of them *.dll type files. Must be about 30-40 files! How can it not find files that are on the 98 disk I received with my computer? Any ideas? Thanks

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi gary, Welcome!
    I assume you mean the format CD that came with the PC? Correct? I have had to use the same thing. It always reformated my drive and reinstalled everything back to like I had just bought the PC. Please post more info about your PC

3. garyfoster

Thank you for the reply,
    Yes I do mean the format CD. I have a CTX AMD-K6 3D (300 CPU clock) I used my boot disk to enable me to format the hard drive: placed it in the floppy drive and rebooted ...at A: prompt I input "format c:"
    When this was done I rebooted the computer and followed the prompts...choose to use CD-ROM. I then put the CD in and entered "setup" It went throught the installation....after a few rebooting sessions it started the messages " cannot find....dll" etc??
    Does this clarify anything?
    I appreciate your input
    Gary

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

5. NiteNow

NiteNow

Hi!

First you should check where the files are being copied from. In the dialoge box "cant find file", you should have a place named "copy from" or similar.

Make sure this is pointed to your windows install cd.

I have seen this happend a few times, it seems windows creates temp dirs for the files and copies them there prior to install...then the file is not located in the cataloge for some reason, and the error appears.

Hope this help, corrections and aditional info is always welcome! ;)

NiteNow

6. garyfoster

Hi TW56,
    1) I have 2 disks..one is the windows98 that came with the computer, the other is a "CTX restore 98" disk. When I put the "CTX restore 98" disk in after reformatting (at the A: prompt) and typed setup...nothing happened -gave a bad command reply. I then tried the windows98 disk and this opened and installed windows.-I thought my problems were over!! This is the disk that has the "cannot find files" problem.
    2) I have tried booting up with the cd in. This boots up and gives option of Safe Mode..I chose this...I get to the desk top but when I go to Exploring it does not shoe the D: drive (CD-ROM)? What do I do now?

I tried to go to the URL you showed..gave this message
    "System.Net.WebException: The request failed with the error message: -- System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: There was an internal server error (COM Exception) in processing the request at kanisa.webservice.KanisaWebService.ViewDocument(String request) --. at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpSimpleClientProtocol.ReadResponse(HttpClientMethod method, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream) at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpSimpleClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, String requestUrl, Object[] parameters) at Kanisa.soap.ViewDocService.ViewDocument(String request) at _ASP.ViewDoc_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __output, Control parameterContainer)"

Thanks for the help.
    Gary

7. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi gary,
    I would try NiteNow's suggestion. In the future if you have to reformat, Just shutdown and put in the CTX CD, then boot up It will give you the option of reformating. But since you formated first, I think the restore disk wont work. Not much help here but someone will have your answer.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

9. garyfoster

Thanks for your reply,
    Do you know how I could copy the files from the CD as it does not show on the tree in exploring?
    This has been most frustrating!..I obviously have done everything wrong in trying to reformat my hard drive. Do you have any suggestions?

Gary

10. garyfoster

Hi again...Hey thanks for this last piece of advice..I never thought to change the bios to read the CD-ROM and them boot..IT WORKED!!
    Thanks a million!
    Gary

11. garyfoster

NiteNow [/B][/QUOTE]
    Hi there,
    Thanks a million for your help..I sent a reply to TW56 also expressing my thanks...I changed the bios to read the CD-ROM first...IT WORKED!! it is now formatting and restoring win98..whew! this has been a long learning process...all of you guys..thanks again!
    Gary

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice