1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-installing Windows 7 on Acer PC with new HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FilthyTheDog, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FilthyTheDog

FilthyTheDog Thread Starter

OK - So this may be one of those questions that has been asked a thousand times before...

I'm no longer as tech-savvy as I used to be, so please bear with me if I come across as some sort of simpleton!

My hard-drive went bye bye a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, my PC had kindly been warning me about this forthcoming event and I managed to get my photos, music, videos, etc. backed up onto external drives before it finally gave up the ghost.

So, I got a new, bigger replacement HDD, put it in and using the Acer recovery discs, got the PC...sort of running. However - I can't perform any system updates, the display is rubbish, I can't get .net installed to a version where I can update drivers and it all seems...well, so outdated compared to the system I had just two weeks prior. I suspect this is because the Acer discs are from the original install eight (!) years ago.

My question is this - if I downloaded Windows 7, or even purchased a Windows 10 licence, could I basically wipe the hard-drive and start afresh, updates would install automatically (or as per the sticky post at the top of this page) and my PC would be back to its old glorious self? Or do I have to stick with the Acer recovery discs and somehow figure out a way to get things back to normal? I do have the Windows 7 product key - will this work with a downloaded Windows 7?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Easiest way forward should be to install the latest drivers (from Acer's web site), beginning with the chipset drivers.

If you want to go the Windows 10 route I suggest that you first determine if your machine will support it (that is, do all the needed drivers exist).

A downloaded Windows 7 would be a pirated copy, possibly including some "free" malware. And, we do not help with pirated software.

3. FilthyTheDog

I was going to get a legit copy of Windows 7, from the Microsoft website.

I have tried installing the latest drivers, but pretty much all of the drivers I have on my PC are apparently newer than the ones on the Acer website!

There's an option to run a program called HWVendorDetection which supposedly tells me which drivers I need...but I can't get it to run. The Acer Updater software doesn't suggest any updates.

I'm stuck.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What is the full model name of that Acer computer ?

5. FilthyTheDog

AM5811-E1522

6. C141

C141

Certainly good advice considering that Microsoft's Extended Support for Win 7 is ending in Jan 2020. You have a legit Win7 key & the free upgrade path to Win 10 is still available. A quick look at the AM5811-E1522 specs.... I'd say your chances are good.

7. FilthyTheDog

OK - Gonna try installing Windows 10... Hopefully all my woes will be solved...

If not, I'll be back.

Cheers.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. FilthyTheDog

Windows 10 seems to have installed successfully and all appears to be up and running as normal... so far (although my DVD/CD and BD drives don't appear on my system any more, but I'll try and figure that out...).

Cheers all!

10. C141

C141

Well good goin' on the install. I for one believes you will figure out the optical drives, but if for some reason it's otherwise post back. Lots of great help here.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice