(re)installing windows vista....not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cookie1086

The last two days i have been trying to reinstall windows vista, it gets all the way to the last stage,Completing installation an then goes to a black screen, i have let it sit like this for 6+hrs, any ideas as to why it would be doing this?

Hey Cookie1086

Sure I'll try to help you troubleshoot through the problem. Good idea to let the installation run as long as you have. I would say that you just let it go until we get to the point where it might help to get hands on with the machine if you haven't stopped it yet.

OK, let's see...how about a list of questions to get started
1. Is this laptop something you just acquired or are you installing on a machine you've had for awhile?
2. Did it have Vista on it before?
3. Is the the disk that came with the machine that you are using?
4. Why are you doing the install? Was there a problem before?
5. How long did the installation run before the black screen? Was it like 45 minutes or 30 minutes or 10 minutes, etc.?

Maybe we can get started with this information...

Cookie1086

its still going since i spoke with your earlier in the day...and still on the black screen.

1.I bought it a year or two ago
2.Yes it did have Vista
3.Yes its the original disk that came along with it
4.The reason for the install is when i would turn my laptop on,it would come to a screen before it loaded and said to select microsoft windows vista, or vista then would go to the loading screen and not load
5.im going to say atleast an hour before it would go black

Laz123

Banned
If you install the TSG System Information Utilityhttp://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links we can assist better.

Did you have two vistas installed then?
Is there a restore partition?

Cookie1086

where do i install the TSG system info?

Im not sure on either one of the other 2 questions

Hey Cookie1086

OK...If you haven't stopped the Vista installation, you can now do so...

The first thing is to try to get you to a "Startup Repair". Put the Vista disk in the disk drive and boot the computer. When the BIOS (first part of the boot) starts press the F8 key. See if that will get you to the Advanced Boot Options and let us know what happens.

OK Cookie1086

First, see if the PC will boot to "Last Known Good Configuration". If that doesn't get you into Windows, reboot and enter Advanced Boot Options again.

Now see if you can boot into Safe Mode. Once inside, open System Restore and see if there are any restore points in there. If it hasn't booted for quite some time, there may not be any, but it's worth a look.

After entering through Safe Mode and checking System Restore, you can then restart and boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try that to see if you can get the internet. You will have to set up a connection if you haven't yet done so on this PC...

If all else fails, we can hopefully try a Windows Repair later

Cookie1086

Both safe modes get to drivers/car disk.svs and don't do anything else
Last know configuration gets to the loading page and then just continues to keep trying to load

Cookie1086

I'm currently doing the start up repair, which has been searching for problems for a good 20 minutes, I'll let u know how it turns out

OK Cookie...that's what I was going to suggest next. I hope it works for you. Looking at the specs of that computer, it looks like a really nice laptop :)

I haven't used Vista, but I have heard that for Vista SP2 is important to get as soon as possible...

Can you say what you noticed about the process? Did it start like processing files and then quit? Or did it black screen, etc.?

That's OK, there is one more thing I know of to try:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Is the Vista Repair attempt still stuck?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online