1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-Installing windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MzLizz, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MzLizz

MzLizz Thread Starter

Im trying to reinstall windows, and i have the computer completely reformated wiht nothing on it and every time i try to install a new copy its mis reads the disc and it wont read certain files. i have tried 3 different copies of windows xp and none of wihich have worked. any suggestions?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Maybe the CD ROM drive is bad.

Try another drive.

3. MzLizz

MzLizz Thread Starter

Would a bad CD Rom drive make it skip files during install? Each time I try the install it seems to have trouble with different files each time.

Thanks!

4. kuipo

kuipo

I had troubles formatting a computer too, and i just tried with the 4th CD, finally succed, I don't why, but maybe try another CD again, that's the best advice i can give you, and also, is it skipping the same files? or is it skipping another ones?

5. MzLizz

MzLizz Thread Starter

It skips different files each time.

I was wondering also if this could be a symptom of a problem with the hard drive.

6. great_dame

great_dame

I think you should try cleaning the CD - I had an XP disc with files that wouldn't read around a certain area on the disc and I used one of those tools "skip doctor" where you spin the cd around in a device to remove a very thin layer of scratched plastic without destroying the data. Then it read the files for me just fine.

7. kuipo

kuipo

i don't understand something, if you try cd 1, it skips " x " files, and then you try cd 2, and skips " y " files, but what happens if you try cd 1 again? does it skip " x " files? or maybe " z " files? do you get my point? because if always the same cd skips the same files, then very probably it's a problem with the cd beign scratched

8. MzLizz

MzLizz Thread Starter

Kuipo-

CD 1 seems to skip different files each time I try to install
    CD 2 skips different files each time.

The CDs maybe damaged, I just want to make sure it's not the hard drive before I try the install again.

great_dame-

I've used the CD repair liquid but I might try the 'skip doctor' also.

9. pshnfry

pshnfry

Are you using the cd rom drive to read the XP files for install? If so, the easiest troubleshoot would be to swap out the cd rom drive for another. (yes, a bad cd rom drive can cause these and other problems)

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Simply put the answer is yes.,,, this is a common cause.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice