1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-installing Winsock 2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by W-1.0, Mar 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Hello everyone! :)

My Windows XP Professional had some problems a few months back. I used HiJackThis to get rid of all the error messages and all the spyware and adware. My Internet kept recieving Microsoft Error Reports so I tried fixing it using LSP fix, after deleting all spyware and adware to restore my Internet connection.

Unfortunately it do not work. When I click the "Finish" button in LSP fix now it tells me that the repairs are completed. A few weeks ago when I tried, it told me to re-install Winsock 2.

Has anyone got any ideas how to re-install/fix the problem?

I have attached a JPEG image to show what I can "Keep". Someone may know what is needed and whether I have got it!

Any help would be much appreciated as I cannot use the Internet at all at the moment!

W-1.0 :)

Attached Files:

2. putasolution

putasolution

All those can be kept

3. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply putasolution.

Okay, I can keep them, but do you know how to re-install or fix the problem?

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

4. putasolution

putasolution

Try running this

5. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Thank you again putasolution :)

I'm downloading the application at the minute on another computer, but we've got a small network so I'll be able to transfer it when it's finished downloading.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

6. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Hello again!

I had a go with that application I downloaded, but it didn't seem to have any effect. Again, it told me that "The Page Cannot Be Displayed".

By holding F5 (refresh), I could read the file path on the status bar. It was as follows:

res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

Do you know what this means?

The computer is on a small sharing network with one server (it is not the server), and the Internet is run through the network, so we do not use Dial-Up. We use an ISDN line which runs through 7 computers (including the computer with the problem)!

Hope this file path is one step closer to getting the Internet connection up and running again!

Thanks.

7. putasolution

putasolution

Try this

go to Start | Run
    Type in cmd

Type (or copy) in the following

netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt

Once done, restart your computer (you may need to restart a couple of times)

8. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Thank you again putasolution.

I will do what you have said and let you know how I get on.

Speak to you soon.

Will

9. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Hi again putasolution.

I did what you told me to do yesterday. I then typed in www.yahoo.com as a "test" and this is what it told me:

"Internet Explorer could not open the search page"

I am wondering whether I should re-install the Internet completely and then use the Internet wizard to start a new Internet connection through the network still.

Have you got any more suggestions or ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Will

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

The steps that putasolution had you follow should have solved the problem. Maybe something else is at work. When you say that you removed spyware, etc., how did you do that? HiJackThis is not sufficient to this purpose and you should certainly scan with AdAware, too.

Depending what type of connection you have, you may need further steps.

If you are on dialup, delete your connection in Network Connections and set it up again.

If you are on a broadband connection, using the "netshell" command to reset the TCP/IP parameters also removes all static IP's and so on that may be needed to connect. Either reconfigure these manually with help from your ISP, or run the setup software that your ISP provided you.

11. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil for your help.

I'm not on Broadband and I'm not on Dial-Up. In the main office we have a box which you have to switch on to access the Internet, so you don't need to dial once it has been switched on. Officially, I think all the computers recieve an ISDN connection on the network.

Any more ideas?

Thanks again

Will :)

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even for ISDN, there should be a connection icon in Network Connections. ISDN is a type of dial-up connection. It's properties may or may not, depending on the type of ISDN, contain configuration settings for the modem.

It's TCP parameters need to be set to fit the ISP. If these settings are lost or changed, there will be no connection.

Since TCP/IP and Winsock2 have been repaired, these settings are one of the few possibilities left. Compare the settings to those of another computer in the office that works.

13. W-1.0

W-1.0 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Elvandil.

I'll have a look and compare the settings.

Thanks again

Will

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Does any one know if those two fixes will repair the two Winsock 2 keys in the registry ?

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's what the Winsock fix does. The keys get damaged or changed by adware and need to be removed and replaced.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/214038