Re-installing XP after support ends

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

garfield411

I have some older computers running xp pro. Now i know these computers cant handle win7 because i tried. But also i have software that I use that wont work on win7. My question is when support ends in 2014 and I need to re-install the OS will the latest SP3 have or most of the updates i need? Or is there software that is simple to use to create an image? Or can i download the updates manually so that i can put them in myself. Please advise. Thanking you in advance

TerryNet

Terry
I don't know, but my assumption is that all the existing updates and service packs will remain available for years. Nonetheless, if I were you I wouldn't count on that unless somebody can say for sure.

Here is downloadable SP3. I think you can get all the updates at this Download Center, but I haven't used it.

There are many free and for-pay imaging programs. Acronis is a popular one. I use Macrium Reflect Free. Another popular free one is Easeus Todo Backup.

For creating an up-to-date installation CD there is a free program that starts with a genuine installation CD, adds service packs and updates that you specify, removes features (be careful; it's way too easy to get carried away; don't delete much) and creates a new bootable installation CD. Now the question is how long it will take for my faulty memory to drag up the name. I bet somebody else will post it before it comes to me.

garfield411

thx and is that program nlite still around i think that one lets you customize an existing install disc

TerryNet

Terry
Thanks for coming to my rescue, Crazy10. :)

You're welcome, garfield411.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online