1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re-installing XP Home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tfrost2002, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tfrost2002

tfrost2002 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a used Dell desktop pc which had XP Home installed (previously) and has a COA certificate for XP Home on the case. I have tried burning the following files to a cd but it will not boot. I used Nero to burn the disk. The boot order is correct with cd first. These files were said to be bootable. Does not boot.
    OEM
    Docs
    DOTNETFX
    I386
    SUPPORT
    VALUEADD
    AUTORUN
    README
    SETUP
    sq
    WIN51
    WIN51IC
    WIN51IC.SP2

Would someone please help me? I know I must be doing something wrong but I am new to this and I am lost. The files were said to be Dell reinstall or recovery iso(?) but I am not even sure what that means. I have read many articles but most just confuse me more.

Please remember that I am a newbie in this situation and write with that in mind.

Thank you in advance for your help and consideration.

2. tfrost2002

See above. "The boot order is correct with cd first."

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just burning files to a CD does not make it bootable. It need a boot sector and possibly boot files just like anything else bootable.

If you have an XP CD, you need to make an exact copy of it, boot sector and all.

4. tfrost2002

I wonder does anyone read what is written (newbie, that is a reference to me). The reason I am here is to get help with doing whatever you are suggesting. Simply saying do this or do that without providing some understanding of "how" does little to help. I copied the files I was told were bootable to a cd as stated above if it does not include the boot sector how do I obtain the missing files. Are they not included in the listing above (how would I know)? Make an exact copy, how? I only have the files given to me and they are in the list above. Do you see something missing? If so, what and how do I get those files?

If what I am asking is unclear please say so. I'm trying to provide complete information but may not know enough to do so.

5. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
  6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    What might be so much easier for you since you are new at this is go back to where you bought the computer from and since you have a valid COA sticker on the case is ask them to make you a copy of windows xp home.More than likely they will make you an exact copy of a dell branded one that will need no activation.And if they are reputable they should do it for free.For future reference once you get the operating system up and running is go to the dell website look under support, drivers and downloads for your model and then use the service tag on the tower to get the correct xp drivers needed.If you didnt buy the computer from a local computer repair/sales place a local one as long as you have a valid COA sticker should make you one for a very small fee.I have had to do that in the past with several computers that came with nothing and it worked out fine.

7. oshaileshmohan

oshaileshmohan

content for illegal download deleted by moderator

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I loaded an original Windows XP Home SP2 CD to compare the files in it with what you have listed.

This is what's listed in the CD:

DOCS
    I386
    SW_VER
    VALUEADD
    AUTORUN.INF
    README.HTM
    SETUP.EXE
    SETUPXP.HTM
    WIN51
    WIN51IC
    WIN51IC.SP2

---------------------------------------------------------

9. tfrost2002

So I am missing some files. I guess. When installing on a Dell does the os have to be for Dell. I tried installing an old installation disk for Windows 98 but that would not boot either. It was not for a Dell pc. I read somewhere that the installing os had to be the same as the original installation on the Dell such as an oem if that was what was originally installed. Does that make sense?

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for your help.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I inherited and upgraded an old Dell OptiPlex GX110 desktop that originally came with Windows 2000 Professional and has a COA sticker with the 25-character serial number for that Windows version.

I formatted the hard drive and then did a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP3 in it.

Just because a computer comes with a certain Windows version doesn't mean you have to reinstall the same Windows version in it.

You're obviously not using an original Windows CD that's bootable, so there lies the problem.

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Yes you are apparently missing some files. Whatever was given to you is not a complete or correct copy of windows xp home.If you werent given any disks at all with the computer as i advised earlier you should be able to go to any reputable computer repair/sales place and they will make you a correct and bootable copy of windows xp home for a small fee when you show them the COA sticker on the tower.Then you should be able to install the operating system with no problems.If you use an OEM copy of windows xp home that isnt for a dell you can use it but you have to put in the product code thats on the COA sticker on your computer and it will have to be activated.If you use a dell branded OEM copy of windows xp home you wont have to activate it as it recognizes it as being a dell computer.We were all once new at computers you just learn by doing.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There should be a sticker with a 7-character service tag number. What's that number?

-----------------------------------------------------------

13. tfrost2002

14. BrennaKessler

BrennaKessler

What is the current status of boot.ini. I think it would be corrupt or missing.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 3RT4J91, that computer is a Dell OptiPlex GX520 Mini Tower desktop.

Here is the Dell support site that's specific ONLY to that desktop.

Here is the on-line user's manual for that desktop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!