1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

re-installing xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dperk56, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dperk56

dperk56 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1279 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation), 32 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 57246 MB, Free - 57180 MB; D: Total - 11915 MB, Free - 9892 MB; E: Total - 316 MB, Free - 316 MB; H: Total - 25913 MB, Free - 21615 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P4B-LA
    Antivirus: None

I have 2 hard drives on my computer. I tried re-loading xp and it formatted my hard drives. Then I guess I installed it on the wrong hard drive. I cannot get any updates ( IE 8, service pack 2 or 3, etc.). When I tried turning the computer off and then tried re-loading xp from disk, nothing happens, it just loads xp. What can I do to start over?

2. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,you have the boot order set cd/dvd rom as 1st boot device in your bios?

3. dperk56

dperk56 Thread Starter

It won't let me get to bios, i press F1 but it keeps going straight to xp startup. What am I doing wrong?

4. huggie54

huggie54

try tapping the Delete button on startup

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If your disc is Windows XP Home Edition SP1, you need to download and save and burn the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade to a disc.

After you do a clean install of Windows XP SP1 and restart the computer, install the SP3 upgrade from the disc.

After the SP3 upgrade is installed and the computer rstarted, go to Windows Update/Microsoft Update and do a custom scan.

Select and install the post-SP3 high priority updates.

After they've been installed and the computer restarted, do another custom scan.

Select and install any new high priority updates and any optional updates you want.

The goal is to get Windows XP completely up-to-date before you start loading your computer with programs and extras.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. dperk56

dperk56 Thread Starter

Thank you. Very helpful.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!