re-installing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DanG

hi,
bought computer with XP already installed and want to upgrade my motherboard but dont have an actual setup disk. Can you just boot from the C drive? is that all you need if it has been installed to that drive? I have also bought a new hard drive, would there then be anyway of installing it to that hard drive and removing the old one?
Thanks for any help,
DanG

you shouldn't have to reinstall to upgrade to a new motherboard. as for installing it on another hard drive, you will have to have the installation disc to do that. you can find them cheap on ebay and amazon if you can't find it by other means

DanG

should i reformat the old hard drive before i upgrade tho?

first thing i'd get ahold of is the XP disk, unless this was purchased from a private party, then good luck, but the disk should have been transfered with the pc. next you can just upgrade the mobo and then boot from the old hd and watch the os find all knids of new hardware which will work but will leave fragments of info behind related to the old hardware. you can slave the new hd off the old and that way just expand you disk space without moving the os. not grreat solutions but workable - get the disk!!! and start from scratch if possible.

edit: cj cheap xp on e-bay or amazon?? $60 is better than retail, you know any better deals let us know

DanG

what about this "Windows Nt Setup Executable" file in the system32 folder......can i not use that to install?

No. a lot of the stuff you need to install it gets loaded into memory during installation and is removed after it is complete. the best thing to do is to buy XP or download it. buying it is preferred of course

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online