1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Re-Installing XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tel.121, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tel.121

tel.121 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm a complete novice when it comes to my computer, hence this post. My computer crashed and a friend tried to re-install XP to no avail, It is now stuck on the 13th screen (the one after entering the product key), of the installation screen saying 'installation will be complete in 39 mins' but does'nt move from that point. I changed the bios setting to boot from Cd but the same screen comes up showing the same point as above and i have been unable to do anything else. When I put the cd in there is no options coming on the screen, the XP loading screen comes up, (the one before your accounts come up), then go's onto the screen as above. It's as if it's not picking up the cd from the drive. The only things it will let me access is the bios setting's ( by preesing F4) and the boot screen (by pressing F8). If anybody has any ideas it would be a help. Thank You.

P.S. My Computer is a Packard bell Xtreme 9087, AMD Athlon XP3000, 512 ram, 60 gb hard disk with a Galaxy motherboard and OS-Windows XP SP2.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    i see no one has answered you so i will make a suggestion to start all over again and reinstall it as a fresh install. however if you have friends that are very good with fixing computer problems i would have them come over and do this for you. make sure you watch what they do so if you ever have to reinstall it again it should go smoothly. do you know why your computer crashed in the first place? how old is your computer? if its really an old computer and it crashed either your hard drive or motherboard might be failing. maybe a friend whos really good at computers can diagnose why it crashed first. if its a serious problem that crashed it such as a hard drive etc, then reinstalling windows wont fix it. let us know what happens.

3. Fankle

Fankle

Could be a bad XP disc. Check for scratches.

4. tel.121

tel.121 Thread Starter

Hi, Thnx for reply, it won't let me reboot, whatever i do it just goes back onto the same part of the installation, the screen after you put the product key in and says 39mins left. I think the problem was viruses, picked up from limewire that caused it to crash. Thnx

5. JustJudy

JustJudy

First Name:
    Judy
    The cd coulc have scratches or be damaged as Fankle stated. If that's not the case I would check my RAM. I have had many installs hang because of it. Try reseating it, or switching slots. If you only have one stick of 512, maybe try a different one.
    Good luck!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!